MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/03/2008 07:50 PM

Anxiety attack

NEMO
NEMOPosts: 7

After reading an article written by Son regarding "UNDERSTANDING ANXIETY, PANIC DISORDER & AGORAPHOBIA", I am glad to have found the site and hoping to learn more about the subject. I guess my experience with Anxiety attack occured a three years ago while I was taking a train home from a social outing. While waiting for a train, I suddenly felt an urge to use the restroom. Since there was no restroom facility at the station, I began to panic and temporarily lost control and focus. (I did manage to find a restroom at a nearby restaurant and felt relax thereafter.) Since then, I have been experiencing similar episode from time to time but manage to escape without major embarrasment. My routine and defense mechanism is simple, I would make sure to use the restroom whenever we are ready to go out (even to walk our dog around the block). The restroom visit routine is definitely a mandatory when we are going out to eat (this is after numerous attemps to avoid going to eat at all with family and friends - I don't enjoy eating out anymore). Recently, I have accepted a new job and also become a father for the 1st time. My wife and I welcome our baby and are very excited. Upon returning to work after taking two weeks off to care for my family, I have experienced an episode which now understood as an event of panic attack. Unlike a normal Monday, I was requested to attend an important meeting with my manager at another site. Traveling to another site created a discomfort for me since I was outside of my element, comfort zone. Immediatly after the meeting, I aksed to use the restroom before we were headed back to our office> Since I was told there was no restroom on the floor. Suddenly, I felt a panic and experienced light headed. My boby felt very weak suddenly as if I was going to "pass out". However, I managed to hold on because I did not want to be embarrassed. After drinking a cup of soda and I felt better and retuned to office. Initially, I thought because of the new baby, lack of sleep pattern was the cause. However, on the following Wednesday, I drove to work and got stuck in traffic for over an hour. Again, as I was stucked in traffic, there were numerous negative "what if" panic thoughts passing through my mind. It got to a point that I thought of pulling over to rest. I managed to get to work safely but then I felt mentally exhausted. When I got to thew office, after 15 minutes of resting in my office alone, I suddenly felt weak, short of breath and thought I was going to "pass out". Finally, I asked a friend to drive me home and I went to straight to see our family doctor. After evaluation and discussing with all the current events, new job and new baby, doctor felt that I was suffering an anxiety attack. (note: my bill of health is fine with routine annual checkkup. I play sport regularly to stay in shape). good wiht Since then, I have visited a counselor for three visits and was recommended to read various books. "Life without Limits" by Lucinda Bassett and "From Panic to Power". Both books are helpful and it allows me to identify my symptons and provide useful techniques to overcome. In addition, my research has led me to MDJUNCTION.COM and I am determined to overcome this "illusion". I hope to learn more from reading interesting stories from friends at MDJUNCTION.COM... Thank you in advance for listening.

01/03/2008 08:52 PM
duckyblue7

Hi and congrats on new baby!! Welcome to the site, I'm still fairly new myself...but it definitely sounds like anxiety snuck up on you as it did me. One of the biggest steps for me was realizing that it was anxiety and that I am not crazy or sick with some undiscovered illness. It's amazing and difficult to find your own instincts somewhat untrustworthy (body vs. mind). It's okay though, you'll get through this! Determination and self-education are two very strong points to have! Falling into the victimized role is easy to do when emotions are running the show. So stay strong and know that you not alone! There is life free of anxiety :o)

01/04/2008 10:36 AM
hopefulwishful
hopefulwishful  

I am 61 years the attacks have been occuring ever since a teenager. Have managed to hide them until in my 30's hard to deal with. Yes welcome to the site am fairly new myself

01/04/2008 12:43 PM
NEMO

I recently read Lucinda Bassett books, From Panic to Power and Life Without Limits. Both are related to panic disorder subject and highly recommended. If you have not heard them, I would recommend them, easy and enjoyable reading. She also has a DVD training but I am still waiting for feedback before spending the money to purchase it. Questions: Have you both ready anything quality regarding the subject field? Knowledge is a way out of our illusion. tks

01/04/2008 03:13 PM
hopefulwishful
hopefulwishful  

no I haven't but sounds like something I need to read

01/04/2008 06:14 PM
Son

Nemo.. I have been exactly where you have been in my early stages of panic disorder...I have been active in a support group for 6 years where I have learned everything about the symptoms and causes of anxiety and panic.. what your describing is normal for people in the early stages.. avoiding places, feeling to flee, having a safe zone ect... once you have the first attacks then you began to find yourself avoiding the places or situations because of what you said, maybe you might have another, or embarrass yourself..you do the what ifs all the time.. what happens because of the fear we feel for no reason our body reacts to the feelings as a real threat that causes the symptoms you feel.. fast heart rate, breathing increases, feeling week or faint ect... but really your in no danger and the feelings wont hurt you.. you create more fear by feeding into the feelings with fear...fear feeds fear.. you must learn all you can about panic the cause and affect it has on you... knowledge is power...the way I recovered was to first learn.. then learn to accept the feelings without attaching fear and not fight them... accept the feelings learn to flow with the feeling using self talk like, its only anxiety, no danger, I have had this before, it will pass.. this takes time and trust on your part but believe me its the way to recovery...if you have any questions just let me know...Son

01/04/2008 06:20 PM
Son

Nemo.. I have the Lucinda Bassett book and tapes.. for me I had no information of the disorder in the begining so when I saw here on TV I knew thats what I had.. Its a good program but somewhat pricey but you can get alot out of it.. but you need also peoples advice that have been through all the symptoms and feelings related to anxiety.. this is very helpful.. to see first hand that your not alone and there is recovery.. I might be able to copy the files off the tapes if you want and send them to you... my e-mail addy is dcovington@insightbb.com Son

01/04/2008 08:35 PM
NEMO

I have read your article and they certaintly are very educational and interesting. Thank you Son for your feedback. You have mentioned of participating in a support group, are you a mentor conducting a class? Based on your experience and success, do you have a daily routine or pattern that you are practicing? ex meditation, visualization... Any good books you would recommend to read including workbook exercises? Knowledge is a solution and I hope to learn and eventually to overcome. BTW, thank you for the offer on Bassett's materials...

01/04/2008 08:42 PM
NEMO

Hopefulwishful... please let know if the books are helpful. If so, then pass along the recommendation to others - sharing is caring.

01/05/2008 05:15 AM
Son

Nemo.. The support group I am in is a e-mail based group where I was a leader for awhile.. The most important things that I did is first understanding.. you must understand what causes the feelings of intense fear you feel for no apparent reason.. understand that the feelings you feel will not harm you and are just produced from anxiety.. believe and trust is a must along with the understanding... CBT therapy along with meds used as a tool works very well.. some people can recovery just with the CBT therapy without meds also.. for me because I didn't have the knowledge for over a year and fought the fear without knowing what was wrong I used klonopins along with self talk ( CBT ) to get back on my feet so to speak... The sooner after the first onset you get help the better you are... for me living with the intense fear and fighting back the feelings thinking something bad was wrong with me for so long I had many memories of the fear and feelings and avoided so many places that finally I didn't want to leave the house...so to answer your question I did the CBT therapy along with a low dose of klonopin as a tool to regroup with the understanding I had.. self talk, learning not to fight or fear the feelings, allow the feelings to come and work through them without attaching fear to the feelings, distractions to keep your mind off how you feel is a good tool.. learn each day and use a journal to write down the thoughts and feelings you have, then use this as a learning tool later to see how the negative thought and symptoms you have never have the outcome as we think they will...remember that we keep the fear alive by feeding into them.. we create the fear within ourselves from the symptoms caused by the anxiety..its a cycle... keep posting and learning Nemo... its not a easy recovery, but with work and trust on your part you will see the results, then learn and log the progress....Son

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved