MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/22/2011 07:38 AM

MDR for panic and PTSD

leandrat

well I have PTSD and panic as most of you know.... and EMDR has been shown to help up to 90% as low as 77% of people that use it for PTSD . I had my first app. with the doctor yesterday and everything went very well...she has the equipment to do it and a lovely relaxing office I feel comfy with her and she is very kind and very smart about it all seeing that she her self has PTSD and codepencany and used EMDR (why she became one) and worked for her so she KNOWS how it works , how it feels , and what the steps are inside to healing which is really cool....Many people have told me that my panic/anxiety comes from my PTSD and that if i can heal that i can heal my panic and I dont know if this is true of not but one can hope lol

I have not used the EMDR equipment yet I will next week Im excited for real the reading I have done, the understanding that I have, I REALLY do get why this can work and am totally excited to get started and help with my PTSD that will in turn help me heal my CD and panic problems!!!

04/22/2011 11:03 AM
AmyGirl
AmyGirl  
VIP Member

Wow Lee this sounds wonderful and I hope it works for you. I had to google what EMDR was lol now I know and man it sounds like it is worth a shot.SmileSmile

04/23/2011 03:17 AM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)1 is a comprehensive, integrative psychotherapy approach. It contains elements of many effective psychotherapies in structured protocols that are designed to maximize treatment effects. These include psychodynamic, cognitive behavioral, interpersonal, experiential, and body-centered therapies2.

EMDR psychotherapy is an information processing therapy and uses an eight phase approach to address the experiential contributors of a wide range of pathologies. It attends to the past experiences that have set the groundwork for pathology, the current situations that trigger dysfunctional emotions, beliefs and sensations, and the positive experience needed to enhance future adaptive behaviors and mental health.

During treatment various procedures and protocols are used to address the entire clinical picture. One of the procedural elements is "dual stimulation" using either bilateral eye movements, tones or taps. During the reprocessing phases the client attends momentarily to past memories, present triggers, or anticipated future experiences while simultaneously focusing on a set of external stimulus. During that time, clients generally experience the emergence of insight, changes in memories, or new associations. The clinician assists the client to focus on appropriate material before initiation of each subsequent set.

I had to google what it was too so I figured I would post a brief explanation.

I sure hope it works. Let us know.

04/23/2011 01:37 PM
leandrat

i sure will guys thanks!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved