MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/01/2008 02:08 AM

New to the Group

artsyjazzy

Hello all, I'm new to the group. I've been suffering from panic attacks off and on since 15 and consistently for the past year. It's made my life a living hell, not to mention ran up some hefty medical bills putting me about 12 grand in the whole. None the less, I'm determined to overcome this. I'd love to know everyones opinions on treatment and whatever else. I feel like this is more of a mental battle than medicine battle. The medicine and anxiety has made me not feel at all like myself, I often feel like I'm in a dream and evertyhing feels weird around me, does anyone else experience this? Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks

12/01/2008 03:32 PM
crazy09

Hi and Welcome,

I do experience feelings like you describe. I feel like I am on the outside looking in and the world and time is just passing me by. I have good days too every once in a while. I was against meds at first but take them now and would have panic attacks daily if not for my Xanax. I have a lot of medical bills too and left my job as a nurse and now make a lot less money. But I could no longer stand the stress after 16 years. This is a great group. You will find good support here. Again Welcome.

12/01/2008 04:06 PM
hollyrm
hollyrm  

Hi there and welcome. I often have that feeling of derealization where I feel like I"m in a dream and something is wrong about the environment around me, like it's somehow different and removed from me. It is scary and annoying and after so many years of it, it has started to just plain piss me off! I know that you will find the support and solidarity here that I have. Keep fighting!

12/02/2008 04:38 AM
artsyjazzy

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that someone understands the whole dream feeling. I thought it might just be me. I hate the feeling, it's terrifying, it makes me feel like I'm insane or losing my mind. It seems like I can never just relax, because when I try I tend to focus and notice how strange everything around me seems. The lighting and the sounds, smells, everything just don't seem right sometimes. This medicine celexa I've been taking has made me feel almost like a zombie, I almost feel as if it has made me feel more depressed, at times I feel like my life is pointless and purposeless and have feelings of sadness for no reason. I tried to quit taking it at one point but suffered severe withdrawl symptoms, including vomiting and faintness and ended up having to go back on it. My doctor has suggested going to therapy but I feel like it would only keep panic attacks fresh in my mind all the time when I really feel what I need is to keep them off my mind, not to mention I have no insurance and can't afford it. I feel like I'm a prisoner to my medicine. I miss the days when I was younger and everything was just normal, I felt normal, things were normal. I had normal people worries. I want to get back to that state.

12/02/2008 05:42 AM
crazy09

Have you tried other meds? It took several tries before I got the right ones. I am now on Zoloft,Lexapro and I also take Xanax as needed which is twice a day for me at this time. I tried Celexa first and could not take it either. I still have these feelings sometimes. I think it just comes with the disorder. I can relate to the light and sounds thing as well. Also colors become more intense for me when I am in a panic state.

12/02/2008 08:30 AM
KNelson77
KNelson77  

Hi - I'm new to the group too and already I feel much better about living with panic attacks now that I have good people supporting me. Are you going to a medical doctor for medication? The only reason I ask is b/c sometimes it takes a few tries for M.D.s to get it right. After all, mental health isn't their specialty. So, I would recommend either talking to your M.D. about other alternatives or seeing a psychiatrist about medication adjustment.

Just remember that you're not alone. We are all here for you!

12/02/2008 11:27 AM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

I also have those feeling and they are panic symptoms. It is one of the worst symptoms for me, cuz I just feel like I dont really know anyone and Im here, but looking in. I would definately try a therapist. I've had panic attacks since I was 11 yrs old and now Im almost 31, Ive done ok on and off, but if I dont have the right meds., sleep, eating, etc. or if a big stressor comes about it can throw me into a big cycle of the panic disorder again. Hang in there and know we are all here for ya, if you ever wanna pm, feel free to!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved