MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/08/2011 12:38 PM

Losing Hope

longingforhope

I have been experiencing panic attacks for my entire life. I didn't realize the extent of this problem until I adjusted to college life this year. I am in constant worry. Losing a dear friend this summer to a car accident, and overcoming some family issues, contributes greatly to the difficulty of college life adjustment. I experience panic attacks about 7-10 times a day. I have tried so many things to get them to stop. These panic attacks are so powerful that I seriously think there is no hope for the world. I see a counselor weekly and am on medication. I really am starting to wonder if this will ever go away. I am losing hope. Has anyone been here? Or is anyone here now? Am I alone in this?

01/08/2011 03:49 PM
njhoppe
njhoppe  
Group Leader

Hi and welcome to the group. You are not alone. At some point I think we have all had the feeling of hopelessness...I know I have. Try to understand the disorder. Is there any certain triggers that cause your panic? Have you tried slow deep breathing? What meds are you on?

There are alot of caring people here, ready to listen and help.

Looking forward to getting to know you.

nj

01/08/2011 05:30 PM
longingforhope

Thank you SO much for your post. It helps to know I'm not alone.

I have been told many times to use deep breathing and other related techniques, but I feel like the thoughts going on in my head are greater than any technique can help with. I need to learn how to shut my mind off...I worry about everything all the time, and deep breathing doesn't seem to distract me...unless I have been incorrectly taught how to do it?

Also, I am on Zoloft, which from what I have heard is not the most helpful for anxiety. Suggestions? Thanks again!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved