MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/11/2010 11:18 AM

Migraines and Panic Attacks! Is there a link?

PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

I found this to be interesting....

A migraine is a complaint that is quite often suffered by other family members, all of which have probably been experiencing them from a young age. Often these attacks can last for days where the victim must seek bed rest; however, if it is treated, they can end in a matter of hours. These attacks also leave the suffer feeling exhausted and might take them a while to recover fully.

The frequency of attacks between sufferers is not consistent with some only having one episode a year. Certain symptoms are common for many sufferers including a problem with bright lights, sometimes even dull light, in addition to flu like chills and lightheadedness. What isn't understood is why migraines can start at an age as early as ten but normally stop before someone reaches the age of forty; however, by the time someone reaches fifty, attacks almost never occur.

It is quite common for members of the same family group to suffer with migraine attacks; even though there may be a link, so far it has eluded medical science.

Science cannot as yet explain why this condition is more likely to affect women than men but women have a three times greater chance of having the condition than men; one in every 4 women will be a victim of it, whilst only 1 in 12 men will suffer with it at some point in their life.

Before the migraine attack, some people have a distinct warning called an aura which usually precedes the headache from anywhere between ten to thirty minutes. There are many indications this may happen which will vary between sufferers which can be one or more of the following:

Feeling Sick

Vision is affected

Strange sounds or smell

Problems speaking

Other symptoms exist but these appear to be the most common. The most common type of this condition is known as migraine without aura; this condition can escalate and is made worse by any movement, loud noises and bright lights which can cause the person to vomit.

The exact reason for having migraine is not clear and yet to be discovered but one assumption is that the blood vessels in areas of the brain become narrower which may be the explanation for the aura.

If the blood vessels then expand suddenly, this may cause the intense headache; those who are afflicted say the headache is often so intense that it impedes with regular routinely daily activity and may even keep them awake. The range of possible triggers that create an attack is huge; the most common are listed below:

Bad weather

Certain types of food

Symptoms of anxiety

Anxiety or panic attacks

Certain groups of drink

Powerful bright lighting

Infrequent or irregular eating habits

Any form of stress – either work or home related

Monitoring and recording the triggers in a diary can help avoid future attacks so it is something that all sufferers must learn to carry out.

Wendy Brausch has her own anxiety symptoms website where she talks openly about panic and anxiety attack symptoms, and offers some useful guidance on how best to deal with it.

Source: http://iulren.com/can-anxiety-symptoms-cause-migraines.html

08/11/2010 06:31 PM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Thanks Phil. I started having Migraines in February. Yes very much associated with panic for me. I think I am getting one now actually. I just started the auras and I vomited. I unfortunately never got my imitrex when I was supposed to and do not have any on me. I am hoping I can make it to the pharmacy asap to pick it up. It isn't far and there is a drive-thru so I should be able to do this as I know I need one NOW.

08/11/2010 07:41 PM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

awe jojo I just got over a 3 day migraine Sad

hope it's gone soon

08/11/2010 08:35 PM
patty777

Jojo, I hope your feeling better soon

Hugs with healing wishes

Patty

08/11/2010 10:31 PM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Well imitrex is just a miracle. I took that and a promethazine tablet and laid down and was able to stay in bed with dead silence and no lights until the med kicked in. That is really hard for me to do. I start getting so anxious. I was able to remind myself that I know the imitrex will kick in soon and that it works. I was then able to do some deep breathing and think of calming places, people, things, pet my dog and was ok.

So thank you all! I feel much better, but exhausted. So now it is for sure bed time!

08/12/2010 06:14 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

So happy to hear that Jojo! I am taking something with a M LOL it disolves on your tounge? Makes me soooo sleepy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz but does the trick. Only down side, can't take it at work, or I'll be drooling and sleeping on my desk at work. Can you imagine that lol lmao

08/12/2010 11:55 PM
slugzzz

Migraines usually send my thoughts racing... I start thinking that I am going to have an anyeurism or a stroke... and of course that lead to panic.

08/13/2010 07:15 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Ok my migraines have been from a sinus infection, so Vicks rub and vaporizer this weekend. Sad

08/13/2010 07:33 AM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Oh mine send my thoughts racing too. I have to just keep reminding myself over and over that this is a migraine, the meds will work, it will go away. It does though still seem to send me in a minor attack when they occur.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved