MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/30/2008 08:36 AM

p, a.

noidem

hi every 1 im new to this first a bit about myself im 61 and have had a alcohol problem but i am now in recovery but have these terrifying panic attacKs where i go blind for a split second and fear i am falling down. i am getting help on thursday through my mental health doctor but feel alone as i think i am the only 1 that has these through the alcohol. i would very much like to meet someone who has had the same experience.THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH .DIANE XSad

09/30/2008 09:13 AM
s24sassy
S24sassy  

Welcome to the group Diane. You've come to the right place. We have different people here who have experienced all sorts of different things. I'm glad to hear you're in recovery from the alcohol, but sorry you're having other problems.

Trust me, you are NOT the only one who has these problems. We're all here to support you and try and help you in anyway that we can.

Sandy

09/30/2008 10:09 AM
Chanda
Chanda  
VIP Member

Welcome to the group, sorry you are feeling like this. I use to drink to try not feel my anxiety/ panic, but then when I would be sober, it would all be a million times worse, Im sure it is different then what you are talking about. But, you will get thru this. Our body and minds play tricks on us! Good luck and we will all be here of you!

10/01/2008 04:34 PM
Holt
Holt  

Diane, I drank and took drugs from when I was 17 years old until I was 31. It only took 4 years (21 years old) until I started having panic attacks. I sincerely believe that all the issues we "suppress" through drug /alcohol use do not go away, they actually bottle up inside us and never resolve. The alcohol numbs the pain while you are using it, but it's worse when you stop. This is just speaking from my experience. All the unanswered questions, embarrassments, and shame I ever felt, I never dealt with. Now of course without the alcohol I have serious emotional issues to deal with; such as panic, as they were never addressed before. It's a tough to process to get through, but it's more important than anything I've ever done. If you put the work into it, the rewards are there.

Andy

10/02/2008 11:52 AM
noidem

Thanks andy but i did 6 months rehab and i thought i had dealt with the emotional crap i had i was married for 30 yrs and left the abuse because he drank , it was hard really hard and i fully understand what you are saying about pushing the emotions down and letting them fester but i believe also that because im not drinking that the emotions are more powerful. i think i am a strong person, because i always bounce back and with people like you for support i will. i wish you thebest of health plz keep in touch and thank you again Diane x

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved