I am reading the book

Panic Attack

Workbook

A Guided Program for

Beating the Panic Trick

By- David Carbonell,Ph.D.

Director of the Anxiety Treatment Center

And I came up on a part that I thought I would share

(I THINK EVERYONE WITH PANIC SHOULD GET THIS BOOK ITS A WORKBOOK THE HELPS YOU THROUGH YOUR PANIC LEARN YOUR TRIGGERS AND TEACHES YOU HOW TO BREATH,cbt, AND PROGRESSIVE EXPOSIRE TACTICS!)

Five steps of panic

AWARE

A- Acknowledge and Accpet

W-Wait and Watch

A-Actions (to make yourself more comfy)

R-Repeat

E-End

So I am just starting this and the first of course is

Acknowledge and Accpet here is what it says-

The fact is, thought panic attacks feel awful and fill you with dread, it is not dangerous.It will not kill you or make you crazy. If you were actually in danger, of course, you'd have to do something to protect yourself. If somebody poined a gun at you,you'd have to run,hide,fight,yell,brie,or beg because the consequesce of being shot would be so terrible that you have to do whatever you could to aviod it. But for most people, the only consequesnce of panic attack is you get scared. When you have one, your are already experiencing the worst. It can only get better, All you have to do is wait it out, give it time to pass. you accept the panic attack because the more you resist , the worse it gets. The more you accpet it, the sooner it leaves

How does "Acknowledge & Accpet" compare to what you usually do-

1. I acknoledge I'm afraid

2. I let myself be afraid

3. I regin myself to it

4. I catch myself resisting and I put myself back on course.

Now it time to do yours what you REALLY do most of the time

( I filled them in as I would do most of the time)

1. I start thinking what else could be wrong with me

2. I go through a list of possible other problems

3. I get mor upset and think about taking more meds.

4. I give into my panic and take a xanax

Now your turn

STEP TWO---

WAIT AND WATCH

One hallmark of a panic attack is the temporaily rods you of your ability to think, remmeber, and concentrate. Waiting and watching will buy you a little time to regain those abilites before you take any action. If you react before you have a chance to think straight you mayy flee, struggle, or do something else that makes you feel worse. This is what people mean when they say things like "I know I m doing it myself"

Of course you will have a powerful urge to leave the scene of a panic attack. That only normal. Watch for this urge so you wont be shocked by it. What you do tell yourself you cant leave keep that option open dso you dont feel traped but put off the decision about whether or not to leave. Stay in the situation for the time being.

You will make the best progress by staying in the situation until the panic attack has come and gone. You could bring the attack to an immediate end my leaving BUT remmeber that practice with panic was the reason you came here to being with. You desensitize yourself to the fear each time you come and wait it out.

How does "Wait and Watch" Compare to what you always do

1 I watch for myself to react hasilt, and go back to waiting

2. I acknowledge the urge to flee, but stay in place and postpone the decision, keeping my options open.

3. I observe my reastions and take notes on my experience.

Mine-

1. I feel my chest start to tighten and I think about it more and more

2. I have never thought about this part of panic so I cant answer this one BUT I will from now on acknowledge my urge to flee or call 911 and wait it out for a few but leave my mind open to if it gets way to bad I can still leave.

3. I never observe AFTER an attack and I can see how this is a VERY important step because without this you dont know what to expect this and every time after it.

Those are the first two if anyone would like the others PM me theres alot and thats all I can type now cause I am at work lol...

Hope this helps someone it has me thinking for sure

Lee

Oh and if you do like it then get the book---- this is only a small part of the workbook and its really cool, alot of things we all already know but put in order so you can think about it in the correct way I LOVE IT

Lee-

06/30/2010 07:58 AM
PCG
PCG  

This is very interesting, I'll see if I can get this book for Vadlor and me :O

06/30/2010 08:03 AM
leandrat

I found mine on Amazon I think wasnt bad like 18 I think but its really good

06/30/2010 08:08 AM
PCG
PCG  

Yes, I just saw it there and it's really cheap, the thing for us is shipping rates and times and such, since we live in Paraguay Laughing

06/30/2010 09:09 AM
leandrat

aww well I hope you can get it when you can afford to its really nice I belive that you would enjoy it

lee-

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved