MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/10/2008 07:37 AM

Switching meds

Holt
Holt  

Well, after almost a year of Paxil not doing it's job anymore, I've bee prescribed Lexapro. I was on Paxil for 10+ years and lovin' it. Then last October my old panic symptoms started coming back. Over the next year my GP increased my dose from 20mg/day to 40, then to 60, then added Xanax. I really do not want to take a Benzo, so I finally asked if I could just try another SSRI. So, here we are. My Doc told me to STOP taking the Paxil the day I start the Lexapro. Not gradually mind you, just stop. That has me really nervous. Today is day 1 of Lexapro, so we'll see. Please keep me in our prayers, I really don't see this being easy. Hopefully the Lexapro works as well as the Paxil did.

09/10/2008 07:45 AM
sisters4life

Hello Holt and welcome. I have been on lexapro for 4 yrs now. Started on 10mg then went up to 20mg. It done wonders for me because i couldn't take the paxil. I am also on xanax for panic attacks. Best of luck to you with the new meds.

09/10/2008 07:56 AM
nicolechittock
nicolechittock  

Hi Holt!

I, too, have been on Lexapro. It helped me SO much, it was like being given a whole new life. I hope it works as well for you! Good luck!

09/11/2008 07:41 AM
Holt
Holt  

Well, this is my second day. Not too bad, I actually felt pretty good yesterday, not anxious at all. I feel a little flaky today - but that's probably normal for me, huh-huh. A little achy & spacy. Not terrible though. Thanks for your thoughts & comments!

09/11/2008 09:22 AM
Mariellyn25

Good luck with the Lexapro Holt. I also just started it two weeks ago.

09/11/2008 10:35 AM
sisters4life

Glad to hear it's so far so good for you Holt.

09/11/2008 03:34 PM
Holt
Holt  

How was the switch, Mariellyn? Or was it a new medicine altogether? I'm a little fuzzy & blaah, but it's not too bad. Did you have any side effects to get past? I haven't experienced any of the usual with Lexapro yet - headache, upset stomach, etc. I guess I'm just very eager to feel "normal" again. (What's that feel like?!)

09/11/2008 08:29 PM
Mariellyn25

haha I dont know what normal feels like anymore!! Smile The 1st 2-3 days I did have dry mouth, and a gag feeling, after that I was fine, lost my appetite for awhile too, which was nice, and have been having very vivid dreams, which is VERY nice Smile I'm still having panic attacks, and honestly I dont know if the Lexapro is really doing much for me so far except maybe helping me with my negative/death/sickness thoughts. Oh, and its a 1st for me...but i take Xanax too.

09/15/2008 04:31 PM
redeemer7568

my dad switched from paxil to lexapro it lessens the withdrawal effect of paxil he tried a cold turkey and nearly died three or four times he attempted suicide the first time second time his body collapsed and third he got a heart attack after four days but lexapro let him get off it with minimal side effects he did get suicidal thoughts though but not severe like before and paxil had negative results on his body he has to take testoterone and thyroid hormone now im so glad ur getting of paxil

09/15/2008 05:05 PM
sisters4life

Normal? does someone have an explanation for that?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved