MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
09/10/2008 09:59 AM

panic attacks afraid(page 2)

crazy09

Hi Verne,

I am so tense right now. I went to the doctor and got a shot of vistaril and am fighting it. I want to sleep but my mind won't let me. I wonder if this is the panic or is it being off the prozac/zyprexa X2 days now. Or is it three. I don't know. I pray as well but my problem is I don't relinquish control to God. I try to hold on to something I think is control. I think that is why the panic attacks are so bad. I am going to try to ride them out without going to the ER. What could happen? Well I could die? I could be fine? I am trying to relax. If you have any suggestions let me know. I go back to the shrink tomorrow can't spell physicatrist see. I have a stress test tomorrow as well. I hope they don't inject dye I think that would make me freak out. I will be back later if I don't die. Thanks for being there for me.

09/10/2008 10:12 AM
verne8

Your reaction could be from either or neither... What you need to focus on is what IS. Now, once you do that...we may be able to get some perspective.

You have already done a wonderful therapy exercise called "What if..?" And in this exercise you take any and all scenarios to the worst possible conclusion (which, not surprisingly, is always death). When you get there you have to ask yourself this question: Do I control when I die? Can I control when I die? Almost everyone agrees the answer is...No. So, if you can't then it is rather pointless to worry about it. Oddly it helps most people to relax.

At the bottom of all panic/GAD issues is the issue of control. The irony is the harder we try to hold on to control, the less control we have and the more out of control we become.

Turn on something funny on TV. Play computer solitaire. In other words...DISTRACTION.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Verne

09/10/2008 10:52 AM
crazy09

Thanks so much. I am so afraid right now. Have you ever wondered if you were going crazy? I do. My daughter came home from school with nausea and her period so she is somewhat a distraction for me. I am fighting the urge to go to the ER. Pray for me a lot. I wonder if I might need some in hospital counseling? Have you ever tried that? My hands are sweating. My heart is racing. I can't sleep. I feel hot and flushed but feel blessed to have you to turn to.

09/10/2008 10:56 AM
sisters4life

Crazy i started that feeling at 2am this morning and called my dr he wanted to admit me but i begged him not to yet. He gave me nitro to take. If it continues don't be bullheaded like me and wait to long.

09/10/2008 11:16 AM
verne8

I wonder if I am going crazy all the time but, so far, I haven't.

I am a firm believer if you need medical care then you should get it. However, here is a sad, sad statistic: Most---not all by any means---do not take emotional women seriously. It is prejudice. It is wrong but...it is.

My advise to women is always to go to the doctor/ER with as much objective vs.subjective data as they can if they want to be taken seriously. I can't tell you how many women have been sent home with "anxiety" when in fact they were actually having a heart attack.

How fast is your pulse? For how long? What makes it worse? Better? Have you tried lying with your feet elevated? Ice on your wrists? Do you have chest pain??? These are all questions that they are likely to ask.

Amazingly, sometimes when we take an objective assessment it calms us down. Many times I have thought "Wow, my heart must be beating at about 140 beats per minute!" But when I took my pulse it was only 102 and 100 is normal. So, I would start to relax. Anxiety/panic feeds off of itself. It is like that errant shopping cart at the grocery store that just wants to keep pulling to the right; it is a constant, conscious effort to keep it on track. Anxiety/panic is the same way.

Hang in there, kiddo... Verne

09/11/2008 10:03 AM
crazy09

Hi Verne,

I am still here. I went to the ER and they said I was having with drawls and to take my Xanax and visatril regularly which I was not doing. They said I am not in any danger. My b/p was 150/100. I am going to see the shrink in a few minutes. It is an hour drive and my husband is driving. I dread it. I feel anxious already. I did get some sleep with the meds though so am some better. I am a very pale person and when I look in the mirror sometimes my panic makes me see it worse. I hope this soon stops. I hope today finds you better as well.

I admire the fact that you can ride out your attacks. I used to could but not now. I feel a little of what I think shell shock would fill like but my kids still are calling me, "Mom do this, Mom do that." No one takes this as serious as it is. Thanks again. HUGS. Cyndi Smile

09/11/2008 10:16 AM
verne8

I have not always been able to ride out my attacks but after awhile you realize, what choice do I have?

I think the biggest injustice we do to ourselves is "waiting for this to go away". More than likely it is not going away and the sooner we accept that the easier our lives become. That is NOT to say that it won't become more manageable...IT WILL.

You are doing great with all you are doing. Be proud of yourself for keeping going and seeking help. That is more than half the battle.

Verne

09/11/2008 04:33 PM
Holt
Holt  

Hey crazy. I think we can all identify with how you feel. Now listen to me. There's nothing wrong with you, you know that. I know it seems real, and believe me I know it is terrifying, but you are okay. Have you ever fainted when you were sure you would? Have you ever run screaming from a store 'out of your mind'? Have you had a heart attack when you were sure you would? No. I know it seems crazy, but the feelings you have are just un-qued feelings (Did I spell that right?) I certainly don't mean to imply that you're over-reacting, I would be the king of that myself. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's okay to help yourself by being aware that your feelings are not due to a serious illness, but only a feeling. More powerful than Love and scarier than Freddy Kruger, but just fear. I really hope I don't sound like I'm trying to minimize. I just recently discovered that if I'm in the middle of an attack, reassuring myself that there's no true danger seems to help me breathe a little deeper, and relax my neck and shoulders a little more.

I hope this works for you too & I'll be praying for peace for you.

Take care.

09/12/2008 03:52 AM
crazy09

Thanks so much for the advise. It is almost 6am here and I just woke up with anxiety. Not panic yet anxiety. Got online and there was your post. It was very reassuring. I went to the psyc. yesterday. He gave me Xanax and Zoloft and vistaril. He said he has never had a case he could not help of panic attack.

My neck and shoulders tense up as well. I think that and my grandson sleeping in my bed gave me a headache but of course I think the worse about everything. A headache is a brain tumor etc. I know it sounds silly but at the times it is real. You sound like you really know what you are talking about. I got the Midwest anxiety tapes in the mail yesterday and hope they will help me. Have you ever tried anything like that? Do you take meds? Thanks again for the reassurance. Smile

09/12/2008 05:05 AM
sisters4life

Crazy i have tried the tapes, debating the yoga idea my counselor mentioned the other day to help me relax. Medications do help, but some are addictive and no one wants to be addicted to meds on top of everything else we go through. I get the neck, shoulder, and facial tension often. Sadly women seem to show more tension and anxiety in those areas than anywhere else in the body. Hope this helps you some.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved