MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/06/2010 08:59 AM

Restless Body syndrome??

cindersoot1234
cindersoot1234  

Last night was hell, this is the third night not sleeping well. I actually feel asleep quick and the I awoke to my whole body feeling itchy inside like when you get restless legs but my whole body. I tossed and turned for hrs. Anyone heard of ( restless body syndrome)?

06/06/2010 09:08 AM
PhilPhil46
PhilPhil46  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Did you start any new medications, I get restless and have had my legs jump and actually wake me up, but the itchy and entire body I am not familiar with, it can be stress related, side affect of meds, I would monitor it and if it becomes a problem for you, have it checked out. Sending you a goodnights rest tonight. Smile

06/06/2010 09:13 AM
cindersoot1234
cindersoot1234  

I just stopped taking tricor cause of the side effects and last night I took an advil pm, Im thinking maybe its what did it.

06/06/2010 09:18 AM
ray2135

Cinder

Your whole body restlessness - sure sounds like an alergic reaction.

I ge tthat whenever I go out under a tree (evergreens) for even a couple of minutes. I get to an itchy feel as if I have been bathing in something I cannot tolerate. And practically nothing helps - except - if I take a shower - that usually puts it to sleep.

If you have hit something that you are alergic to, you need to find out immediately. That can be super dangerous.

Go see your doctor personally and before you go check your entire body for any sort of a rash. But be sure you do not miss anything.

Hugs, Raoul

06/06/2010 04:52 PM
cindersoot1234
cindersoot1234  

Well I found out what cause my restless body syndrome. It was the diphenhydramine in the advil pm I took. I remember the same thing happened when I took benadryl it has that in it to. So if you have RLS or rest leg syndrome stay away from anything with diphenhydramine in it cause it makes it worst. Just a heads up.Silly

06/06/2010 05:37 PM
leandrat

Good looking out I would have never thought about that though I dont take either of those meds I do have RLS and now I know to stay away TY lol..

Lee--

01/14/2012 01:04 AM
giglr

I have had these same feelings for years! I find that when I am really tired and feeling like I can no longer stay up, I lay down and immediately I feel like if I don't move I will just scream. It feels like my entire body has electricity running through it! I often feel like I need to tense up my whole body to try to relieve the feeling. That works for about a second! When I feel like this, there is no way I can sleep...or even stay laying down, cause if I do...it may cause me to go insane!!! :0/ I have resorted to keeping instant coffee beside my bed. When I get this feeling, I simply eat about about 1/2 teaspoon of the coffee (I say eat, because I put the coffee in my mouth and just wash it down with a drink...I do this because I don't want to wait to make and drink the coffee...I want relief right away!) This seems like a really odd thing to do when you are trying to sleep, but it is the only thing I have found that seems to help. I found that the coffee helped when I was on a flight to Japan about 3 years ago. I had taken benedryl (because my Dr said it has diphenhydramine and that is the ingredient in sleeping pills) and got this feeling. I figured if I was not going to be able to sleep, I might as well ask for some coffee to get me through the day. After drinking the coffee I laid in my seat and no longer had that feeling and was able to nap.

I also find that any PM medicines cause this feeling - Like you said, anything with diphenhydramine. I also have issues with my neck (unrelated to this issue) and my Dr prescribed a muscle relaxer and that also made it worse! I will no longer be taking that medicine either!

While I sympathize with anyone who feels this way, it is somewhat of a relief to hear that others have had a similar issue...I too have been calling this Restless Body Syndrome for several years now! :o)

01/20/2013 02:07 PM
Goody212

I do not have panic attacks, but chronic back pain and am taking a variety of painkillers, muscle relaxers and anti-depressants.

When I read your post, it was like I'd written it! Just last night I had a horrible episode of Restless Body and was up until 4am, thrashing and tossing.

I assumed it was drug related, and have had speed-y reactions to Tylenol PM and the like.

I will try caffeine next time. Does sound odd, but I'd try anything.

Thank you for sharing. It was a great relief to read.

Good luck to you.

03/26/2013 10:11 PM
upallnitegr

hi Goody212, I also do not have panic attacks, and chronic pain, but have been put on a nerve block med called Gabapentin, now at 500 mg per 8 hr(3x a day). it blocks the nerves so I have been blessed to stop all pain meds (after 10 yrs on many) except over the counter tylenol, NO opiods at all almost 6 months now. I have done some research on the net and a lot of the symptoms have come bk to possible MS. I will be tested for a battery of things after a 12 hr fast on friday. I am now up since Sunday nite 24th of April, except passing out from exhaustion for no more then 2 hrs each day. I am at my wits end!! I do not drink coffee, soda or any caffeinated drinks except Tetley tea. These symptoms have been getting worse over several yrs, and have progressed to full body spazzing. It feels like when a Dr. would put a tuning fork on you for whatever reason,and standing helps but how much strength can 1 person have after almost 4 days with no sleep! Good luck to you also, hope you get some relief soon too. will try to post what blood tests show(if anything) Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved