MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/06/2010 09:03 PM

WHAT WILL HELP STOP A RACING HEART!?

anxiousT
anxiousT  

Help, I am freakin out and I feel like I am dying and I want to know what will help slow a racing heart?! I am panicing now!Shocked

05/06/2010 09:08 PM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Try to do some deep breathing exercises and focus on your breathing. Remember to not fear your racing heart. It just makes it worse. It is just panic, it will not kill you. If you have some soothing music to listen to try that.

Also if you have a benzodiazepine to use as needed you may want to think about taking one. I have heard from some that breathing into a paper bag can help as well.

Hope this helps.

Post edited by: jojobear, at: 05/06/2010 09:11 PM

05/06/2010 09:14 PM
anxiousT
anxiousT  

ok thank you, my heart is still racing but not as bad. I just tried to breath in a paper bag. I think that kind of helped. It is still racing and I am scared to lay down because I might not wake up. I am trying to remember that it is just panic but sometimes the palpitations last for an hour or more. Is that normal?

05/07/2010 05:52 AM
ray2135

Hi Anxious

I get that feeling a lot.

Checked with my son, a doctor, and he said to check the pulse rate by using my hand on the other hand. Checked it out and it was actually slower than normal. So, what felt as fast was actually slow. Since then I always check it by hand and find it is always slow. That has been a big help for me to chase this fear away.

Raoul

05/07/2010 08:33 PM
jojobear
jojobear  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

If you are worried about palpitations please go see a medical doctor. They can check out your heart and make sure nothing is wrong. I had that done and it was such a huge relief. I now know that my heart is healthy and ok so when I start to feel it race I am not adding extra anxiety questioning if whatever is going on is normal. I know that it is anxiety/panic and that I have no physical medical reason to be concerned. I can concentrate on the panic and ways to feel better.

05/08/2010 07:56 AM
cindersoot1234
cindersoot1234  

I agree with jojobear fully, don't mess around have it checked.

05/08/2010 11:11 AM
damselndistress
damselndistressPosts: 16968
VIP Member

Until you get into your doctor-you can try drinking cold water and putting your face in cold water.

Also the deep breathing can help.

Damsel

05/08/2010 11:18 AM
cindersoot1234
cindersoot1234  

My doctor said to grunt, like your having a bm.

05/11/2010 10:44 PM
catlady65
catlady65  

Anxious, I would definitely have it checked out by a doc as others have recommended as a safeguard. Until then deep breathing which a lot of folks on here have recommended helps

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved