MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/30/2008 05:04 AM

I feel like velcro....

csuzyishere
csuzyishere  

So, I have been feeling pretty good lately and taking vitamins and walking a lot and I thought it was really helping to prevent and attacks because I had not had them in a while.

Then, the night before last, I kept having those dreams where I could feel my body having an attack, and when I wake up, I still felt "fuzzy" almost like someone is could tear me apart like a strip of velcro....WSHHHHHHH

So, I felt like this all day yesterday and around 2:00 in the afternoon, I got hit with a full fleged panic attack. I took my Lorazapan and hoped for the best and it did seem to calm my nerves a bit, but as always it makes me so tired it is almost not even worth taking it.

When I got home last night, I popped my 2 year old into her stroller and took a 2 mile walk which seemed to help me a bit. I was hoping that I would feel better today, but nope!

Once again, I am feeling like a "fuzzy" strip of velcro just waiting to be riped apart. I know it's coming and I am trying not to think about it because it gives the panic to much power, but come on, when you feel this way, what the #&%# are you supposed to do? Party?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This sucks Blush

07/30/2008 07:37 AM
s24sassy
S24sassy  

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so bad. I know what you mean though. It's hard when you feel it come to relax and really relaxing would totally take the power away from it. If you get really tense in anticipation of an attack, you're surely going to bring it on by being so tense. No matter how hard it might seem you need to keep making a point to physically relax your body. It's hard when you feel it building, but try it and see if it helps to ward it off.

Sandy

07/30/2008 11:21 AM
csuzyishere
csuzyishere  

Thanks for the advice, I will try it and let you know.

Of all days, I got a phone call this afternoon that my child is sick and I had to pick her up from daycare. Once I got her home and in the tubby, BAM! I had another attack! Dizzy

Thanks for being out there MDJunction!

07/30/2008 11:40 AM
AJR

csuzyishere,

(Just a suggestion)

I'm trying out a five step process called AWARE (from Panic Attack Workbook can be purchased on

http://www.anxietycoach.com/

I apologize to anyone reading this if they are sick and tired of me mentioning this book - it just made a lot of things clear for me and I want to provide that clarity to others Smile

Anyway, AWARE stands for

A - Acknowledge & Accept

W - Wait & Watch

A - Actions (Make Yourself More Comfortable)

R - Repeat

E - End

Before I read the book I would work myself up trying to resist the attack, that just made it worse. It's the same as if someone asked you not to think about zebras. You can't help it you're going to think about zebras. It's the same with panic attacks. When I feel the feelings that mark the beginning of a panic attack I tell myself it's okay. It's okay to be afraid and it's okay to have the panic attack. I use it as a learning experience. The more I expose myself to panic the more I'm going to be able to face it properly. I've spent a long time running away and hiding from my attacks. I'm in my 30's now and it's like I'm living with a bully who bosses me around and threatens me on a daily basis. I don't want to live like that anymore. So, as the attack is going on I wait it through and watch to see what helped and what didn't. I also exercise during an attack that seems to help burn off the jittery feeling. I look to make myself comfortable but understand if I can't (once again it's okay). I repeat for as long as I have the attack. And finally I feel the attack's end - because the truth is all panic attacks end, even the extra long ones.

I hope this makes sense. The book explained it better Smile

AJ

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved