MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/16/2010 09:28 AM

anxiety and stomach issues

cindersoot1234
cindersoot1234  

My anxiety starts in my stomach every time, its the anxiety burner of my body. When a panic attack starts its going to get my stomach going, usually in cramps and nausea. When I went through my major panic anxiety episode before I was diagnosed, my stomach growled and rumbled for a month straight. Ive read somewhere that its your second brain. Makes sense. Anyone else get it in the tummy??Sick

02/16/2010 09:39 AM
Fidgetgirl

Post edited by: Fidgetgirl, at: 06/19/2010 05:11 PM

02/16/2010 04:03 PM
Judy062645

My stomach is the first indicator also. I get totally nauseous, then dizzy, light-headed, and pee incessantly. Crazy isn't it? I went to several doctors for the nausea, they finally ruled out anything physical after test after test. I was the one who decided it was anxiety and they put me on Celexa and Xanax. I've only been on the Celexa a little over a week and I'm much better already - I've been able to quit the Xanax (as of yesterday) and although I'm a little agitated, not too much. Good luck to you - you're not alone. This group is great and sometimes just talking about it or reading about other's issues helps.

02/16/2010 04:16 PM
ray2135

Judy

Small small suggestion - if you get into difficulty, try taking just a half of a xanax for a few times to see if that helps you over the hump.

Raoul

02/17/2010 08:34 AM
regionguy149
regionguy149  

Well I can relate to a few posts here!

Cinder ABSOLUTELY! My stomach is always the first thing to start up with panic. I do have acid reflux but I take prilosec for that. And it is totaly different. I don't get heartburn I get very strange burning and stinging pains in my abdomen and sides. Start to feel nauseous.

Now I started taking Celexa in November. I can't take benzos because of my job (so that sucks) but the Celexa sucked really bad for the first week especialy on my stomach! But I got through that and it has worked wonders as far as no major panic attacks since. And the stomach wasnt bad for a few months. I still deal with anxiety daily celexa won't cure that it basicaly just lets you get a hold of the anxiety before it gets to full blown panic. But I have noticed in the past couple of weeks my strange abdominal pains are back again which definitely kicks up the anxiety a notch or two.

Judy I am glad to hear that you get the same thing with nothing physical. Because as much as I complained with my stomach doctors never ran any stomach tests on me. I went through every damn test you can on the heart and brain before they diagnosed pain and anxiety but no GI testing. So I am glad to hear someone else gets all of these strange pains that may only be caused by anxiety. Not glad that you have them of course.....lol.......just glad to hear that anxiety can be the root of it.

02/17/2010 12:18 PM
cindersoot1234
cindersoot1234  

Like I said they say your stomach is your second brain. So when your feeling bad it affects it.

02/25/2010 08:15 PM
nyu87

Wow this describes me perfectly. I only really have acid reflux when I have anxiety problems. I'm sure its just the anxiety, but im on klonopin and zoloft and my stomach still hurts. I'm going to a GI in a few weeks, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Its comforting to know that others have the same problem and feel the same days. When it gets bad for me I feel like i'm going nuts - these boards are a good way to get back to reality. Thanks!

02/27/2010 03:39 PM
echo
echo  

I used to have same problems I got GAS and burp a lot when I get nervous..I eat light and less now..still having anxiety but no more acid reflux...try it. good luck.

03/04/2010 09:41 AM
nyu87

I talked to my therapist a few days ago and she says my stomach issues may be repressed emotions. She's having me keep a journal to write down the things I think about during the day or what I think about when anxious. Its helped so far, and I haven't had any stomach trouble since. (Or maybe the zoloft is kicking in and the anxiety and panic attacks are down?) Not sure if this helps, just thought I'd put it out there....

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved