MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/09/2010 12:06 PM

Does anyone have good tips to increase wear-time?(page 2)

mycrohns
mycrohns  

Hmm..maybe that could be an option. My surgeon was considering doing that to mine, but said there is no point really, since I will be having it removed shortly. Crossing fingers I don't jinx it.

Perhaps if it is not an invasive procedure, they can consider it?

I too hope your fella starts behaving himself. It sounds like he needs a time out. Like a Super Nanny would do, put it in a penalty box.Smile

Hope all is well!Did you call your ET nurse?

03/09/2010 08:15 PM
forest
forest  

I am very sorry to hear that didn't work for you libit. If output gets on your skin, it can make the irritation worse for sure. I have used the convex flanges before as well. Some of them have a belt that attach to them which help to pull the skin inwards a bit. Your ET Nurse should be able to recommend something to help. I hope you find something that works for you. Please keep us informed!

03/09/2010 08:24 PM
forest
forest  

Hi Libit,

Even now, I still get irritation sometimes. If my output is watery, it slips between the stoma and the paste and starts to irritate my skin. The only way I have found to stop that is to change the appliance more often. Although it is more expensive to do it that way, changing it daily for a few days seems to allow the skin to heal quickly, and won't add additional irritation.

I went through a lot of trial and error over the first year to get things under control for myself. I wish you the best!

08/03/2010 12:24 PM
Kaylahardy

I recently switched to coloplast 2 piece system (comes convex and non-convex) and I can get up to 4 days out of my appliance. I think the key is to make sure you have plenty of the skin-prep barrier and strong adhesive. I use eakins from convatec and they really keep a strong hold and my skin doesnt get irritated anymore and it really prevents leaks.

08/06/2010 08:09 AM
corkeylynn

I too use a two-peice convex wafer and bag. I am happy to say three months after sugery I am now able to get up to 5 days out of appliance. Still looking into leg bags to get more time out of appliance so I don't have to frequent the bathroom as much especially with starting a part time job.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved