MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
04/10/2010 10:33 AM

Hello

cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

I'm coming here to see if my 12 year old is displaying the symptoms of this disorder. It might explain a lot.

04/10/2010 10:55 AM
newlifechange
newlifechange  

Thanks so much for joining this group. Here are some things to look at.

ODD is a psychiatric disorder affecting behavior. Three characteristics of the child who has ODD are: aggression, defiance and the constant need to irritate others. When documenting the child's behavior; characteristics or behavior patterns should be in place for at least 6 months. The behaviors will have a negative impact on social and academic functioning. It is important to look for the following characteristics:

* The child often loses his/her temper

* The child is defiant and doesn't obey rules/routines

* The child argues often with adults and peers

* The child seems to go out of his/her way to annoy others in very bothersome ways

* The child is often lacking accountability and blames others for inappropriate behaviors

* The child often seems angry, spiteful and vindictive

* The child is often prone to tantrums and will be non-compliant

It is important to exercise caution when reading lists of characteristics, remember that most children will exhibit many of the characteristics listed, key to determining ODD is the frequency of the characteristics.

This was in Reference to: http://specialed.about.com/od/behavioremotional/a/odd.htm

Hope that helps out!! PM me anytime if you have any more questions. We are just getting this group going. Bare with us if we don't have some tools that you need. Any questions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks again!!!

04/11/2010 12:28 PM
cptblack
cptblack  
VIP Member

It leaves me in doubt that my son is totally ODD. Odd maybe. He has such a high IQ, is very inventive and can sometimes confuse adults with his smarts. He does have ADHD and Depression. And he can be irratating, but that is something every kid can do on a regular basis. I'll keep checking in here and reading up. Better to keep on posible signs and cut the chances of this getting out of control.

04/11/2010 12:59 PM
newlifechange
newlifechange  

I was given some info from my sons pdoc. It said..."ODD people are extremely bright." I do know that my son is extremely smart as well. As far as him being irritating, yep my son is EXTREMELY!! Its so so worse than the adolescence years. For you and your sons sake, I sure hope your right and he doesn't have ODD. They say that if they are having those signs for more than six months than its really possible that its not because of the teen years. Here's a sight that you would probably get some use out of it...

It's called "ADHD and ODD Parenting Your Defiant Child"

http://www.additude.com/adhd/article/print/879.html

Good luck to ya!

04/23/2010 06:46 AM
NoMreW8nC
NoMreW8nC  

My 12 y/o daughter has been acting like this for years (5), I just thought she got the craptacular genes from Dad...LMAO!! She's being treated for ADHD now (3 yrs.) and nothing is working. She's on Concerta, Prozac & was just put on Ritalin in Feb.

04/23/2010 05:47 PM
newlifechange
newlifechange  

My son has ADHD as well and he is on Focalin XR. My Daughter has ADHD and is on the Focalin XR as well. It's a MIRACLE drug!!! Might want to check that one out.

http://www.focalinxr.com/index.jsp? usertrack.filter_applied=true&NovaId=2935376852771089253

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved