MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
06/23/2010 10:58 PM

Restraining a child

newrsd

Hi,

I am just curious, how do you restrain your child safely without harming him when he gets uncontrollably violent?

Basically, me and my family are in the middle of legal proceedings from a long time ago and I am curious how things can work different.

(1) You can't do it manually because he will continue spitting, kicking, et. unless you get him in a position where he can't move and he can continue being violent for hours which is too long to keep your grasp.

(2) you can't lock him in a room because he will bang his head against the wall and/or hurt himself and damage anything in there.

(3) what is left? What we had been doing when all else failed was calling the police.

(4) eventually, it got to a point where the police took too long too come (at times over an hour) and it was dangerous for the kids in the house.

so my brothers went on ebay and purchased 2 pairs of handcuffs and put them on his hands and feet in a carpetted room till the police came.

this happened a couple of times with no one saying anything until one time the police came and we knew from the start that things were not on our side as they came with a detective and child services and didnt listen to anything we said and just arrested my 2 brothers for child abuse and charged them with a first degree felony!! my brothers were just trying to keep us safe because we couldnt think of anything else.

Anyways, we are still in the middle of legal procedings (trial in sept) but we found that his special ed public school (which just kicked him out and he is going to residential) had a policy of handcuffing children to a bench when they got uncontrollable. So why is it legal for them but not for parents/sibs????

just curious if any one has any experience/advice.

The whole case is such a joke because currently his school is pressing charges against him for hurting a teacher, the temporary psychiatric residence/state is pressing charges for giving an employee a concussion,

and the police are saying he is a little innocent 13 your old and we were abusing him!!

06/24/2010 07:52 AM
shaz66
shaz66  

Thats a mess, I thought when I read the title of your post, you were talking about a small child. Who you have to restrain to get medicine down them. This is definately a different kettle of fish. The only thing I can think of is ask Child Protective Services Reccomend. Also check with his Dr's. Maybe they can give you a sedative or something for him. But get whatever they say in writing. I keep pictuing a tranq gun. I wish I could be of more help, but my daughter is bigger than me, if she decided to go that route frequently we wouldn't be able to keep her at home.

06/24/2010 08:55 AM
newrsd

yes, that is why he is leaving the house because it is dangerous. he is only 13 but over 5 feet and over 150 lbs. Not a little child.

now, we wont have to deal with it because he is leaving . i am just curious if this has come up with other ppl.

06/24/2010 02:59 PM
shaz66
shaz66  

It has, if you read previous posts there is a woman who's brother had to be placed in a long term care facility. It wasn't that long ago. I agree, maybe they can give him the help he needs.

06/24/2010 11:03 PM
newlifechange
newlifechange  

What state do you live in newrsd?? I'm gonna look up some advice for ya! I hadn't a clue what to say. I haven't had any experience with any of the sort. However, I wouldn't have done anything different than you guys either. Let me know what state!

06/26/2010 02:01 PM
newrsd

atlanta, GA. supposedly one of the most corrupt cities to work with.. they say 50% of the cops have a prior criminal background of some sort. Doesn't make you put much trust in the justice system.

Thanks... Let me know if you find anything helpful or interesting.

06/27/2010 09:08 AM
mem2078

The laws and SSR work in mysterious ways. They can twist things any way they want. Get lots of documentation of the school and other assult cases, Doctors evaluations, everyone who is willing to be witnesses to the child's dangerous behavior, statements from them in case they don't want to or can not go to court. Paperwork makes a case.

Sorry your going through this nightmare.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved