MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/18/2009 04:14 PM

Occipital Nerve Stimulator Surgery Recovery

Ellsworth

Hello, I am having an Occipital Nerve Stimulator permanently implanted and I was wondering if anyone knows what the recovery time for this is and when I can expect to be able to work?

Kent

08/19/2009 04:26 PM
brugette
brugette  

Kent, hi and welcome. I don't have any info on the ON stimulators, but there are a few people on the boards who do. I'll see if I can find someone to answer your question soon.

The main page for the C2/ON forums has a section for medical txs. and I believe you might be able to find some info there. I know there were a few people talking about them.

Hang tough and let's see if we can get your question answered soon.

Welcome again to our group and good luck with the stimulator.

Patty

08/19/2009 06:39 PM
Cait01
Cait01  

Hello Kent,

I am also new and can you tell me if you are getting the stim made by Boston Scientific or another? I was told about 2 weeks of discomfort - this was by a person with the unit placed in lower back - not like the new where it is placed like a pacemaker. I sure would like to keep in touch and learn more about your situation if you would share.

Thankyou

CaitSmile

08/20/2009 09:52 AM
Ellsworth

My stimulater is made by The St Jude Medical Group. It is a little different from Medtronics which is the only other one I was aware of. My process will have the electrode leads going across the back of my head and lying on the occipital nerve. Their are eight leads. Then, the wire will be connected and rnd through my neck on the left side and the wire then go over the clavical and about two inches below they will cut an incision and place the 2x2 battery. This batter is a rechargeable battery so it may last for many years. I then have a remote to hit the different leads with different frequency and different pulses.

I found a blog yesterday which was kind of a diary of a woman who had this done in JUne and her reovery was three weeks before she could resume an office job and even then the first couple of week were hit or miss.

Since I own my own CPA firm I was looking for someone who has had this surgery to tell me what I can expect.

I hope you have a great experience and your pain goes away. I have been suffering from chronic cluster headaches for eight years. The first 7 plus I was on pain medicine but after going to Mayo clinic they took me off, and the past six months have been unbearable. I really want Sept 24th to hurry and get here so I can get some relief. the trial was great.

thanks,

kent

08/20/2009 08:11 PM
Cait01
Cait01  

Kent

Thanks much & may the 24th come quick & the proceedure go well.

Cait

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved