MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/03/2009 07:46 AM

Nerve decompression surgery

tomuchpain
tomuchpain  

Hi everyone.

I hope you all are having a pain free weekend.

I have a question.. always..lol

For those of you who have had the nerve decompression surgery one the occipital nerves.. has anyone been pain free or did it just make it less painful.I have been reading post thru out different forums and I haven't read of anyone who is completely pain free from this. Just wondering...

Thanks

Cheryl

10/07/2009 07:52 AM
brugette
brugette  

Cheryl, I don't think anyone answered you, but from what I remembered, no, no one is 100% pain free, but most have 50-80% relief. Apparently the longer you have ON the lesser you chances are of having a high amount of relief. But I think when the pain continues at a 8-10 for years, any relief over 50% is worth the chance. I'm still debating the surgery since I have other nerve (spinal) issues that are worse than the ON/SON right now.

Hopefully someone can help answer this in more detail for you.

Patty

10/07/2009 11:56 AM
tomuchpain
tomuchpain  

Patty

Thanks for the response. I have had migrains for 20 years but ON for 6 months.. If I decide to have the surgery I just hope it wouldn't make it any worse.

Thanks,

Cheryl

10/07/2009 06:30 PM
brugette
brugette  

That's a concern many of us have. Someone recently (sorry too many posts come through here) asked if the NDsurgery would create more scar tissue, therefore causing nerve pain again. Something I've thought about because my body loves to make scar tissue. I had one pinched nerve in my neck, had fusion surgery, scar tissue multiplied worse than rabbits, now I have two pinched nerves. Today I went to an othro doc because of two mid-back nerve pinched for different reasons and when I told him I would ever have surgery again, and I'm allergic to meds and PT started the pain to come back 3 months after surgery for the neck;, he said it's pain management for me. My problem is that with the ON/SON, cervical, siatica nerve problems I'm already over my limit yearly for steroids, so I'm just flustered right now.

Sorry to hear you've had migrains for so long. I can't imagine what that has been like to live with. The ON hasn't been that long, which is in your favor for the surgery Dr. Blake/Perry do.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved