MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/31/2009 01:38 PM

Any experiences with Zanaflex?(page 2)

bmac
I'm an Advocate

I have similar pain in my left eye and gives me a headache on left side, top of my head. doesn't last long but still painful.

my lack of sleep is worse part of my headache at this point. body is tired falls asleep (i have heavy leg syndrome) but just can't get the old eyes to sleep - weird feeling. going to sleep clinic next week.

stay strong.

bmac

06/01/2009 09:49 AM
KariJo
KariJo  

You guys have hit two areas I have been having a hard time with and have just found some relief. Yes, I have tried Zanaflex and a whole array of muscle relaxers, but they don't get the job done and give me every side affect. I just got Dr. Blake to approve me to take Valium.....guess what ladies and gentlemen, my muscle pain in my neck and shoulders has been greatly improved!!! And I haven't had to deal with the main side affects I have with the other muscle relaxers. I am on a low dose, 5mg, and only take them every other night, but WOW.

The other area you hit on is sleep. Because of the neck/shoulder pain which gives into the HA I get two hours here and then two more there. It is so important for us with HA to get our REM sleep. I have found the Simply Sleep by Tylenol works good for me. If I use the Tylenol PM.....I can't sleep as good. I couldn't sleep at all with the Advil PM (then again I am more of a Tylenol kinda gal). I have also been taking Meletonin 3mg for years.

Now I just have to get my husband and the two cats on my sleep schedule and I would be rosey Silly

06/01/2009 09:55 AM
meredith1851
meredith1851Posts: 15

Thanks for your reply. DO you find Valium is something you can take during the day?

06/01/2009 01:05 PM
bmac
I'm an Advocate

I do not take Valium but know others that do. it is a tranquilizer and, from my understanding, can be taken during the day.

Since it worked for KariJo I might ask my doctor for a prescription.

thanks for all the info - very helpful.

bmac

06/01/2009 04:21 PM
brugette
brugette  

I've been taking Valium (diazapam) for over a year. I started taking it as a muscle relaxer and also to help me sleep. I find that when I start to feel tension (for whatever reason during the day)I take 1/2 a pill, which is 2.5 mgs. it helps a little, To help me sleep I take anywhere from 7.5-12.5mgs. I asked my doc and he said the max I could take in a 24 hr. period is 20ms., which I hit somedays.

I've also found that Fiorcet when the eye/forehead pain starts and sometimes it helps relieve the pain somewhat.

KariJo - I am soooo happy for you, that you found what sounds like significant pain relief

06/01/2009 04:26 PM
brugette
brugette  

Meredith, my pain sounds alot like yours. It's so tough to deal with this type of pain and most docs don't know what to do. But we'll keep hanging in there and pushing them to help us find some relief until a cure comes through........

06/02/2009 06:46 PM
bmac
I'm an Advocate

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/02/ 080205171755.htm

check out this website and let me know what you think

06/02/2009 09:13 PM
Chloee

Bmac Wow,

Thank you so much for posting this website on chronic pain and the damage to neurons research.

I was trying to explain to my husband why I simply can not listen to him and the television at the same time ... add one more sound in to the fray and I am almost screaming with the pain from the nerves of my head reacting.

I always felt smug that I could do so many things at once...now its one thing at a time. This site explains why I am struggling with say visits to walmart where my neurons are overwhelmed.

Chloe

06/03/2009 04:32 AM
bmac
I'm an Advocate

Chloee- it always helps us better understand what we are going through when someone in the medical field is doing research. i pray they will continue with research and come up with something that can truly help us.

The Vistaril the doctor gave me yesterday helped my pain and i was able to sleep. i'll see how long this helps but I'm thankful for one day at a timeSmile

God bless you

Betty

06/03/2009 07:46 AM
KariJo
KariJo  

I haven't tried Valium during the day as I have other meds I take that are used for anti-anxiety and work pretty good. I am sure I could but right now I am just using them to help me sleep and relax the muscles, which they are usually so bad at night So this is a win win combo.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved