MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/15/2012 06:20 AM

Decompression Surgery after failed nerve blocks??

gbeasley

Anyone ever have decompression surgery after failed nerve blocks? Is this even possible? I have had 4 nerve blocks (2 in office, 2 under xray) and not once did I get numb or have any releif. Possible abnormality in the branching of my nerves???? Had ablation of C2, C3, C4 and no relief from that yet either. Looking for any help I can get! Thanks sooooo much for feedback!!

03/15/2012 08:21 AM
RAH468

Last fall I had 3 occipital nerve blocks and 2 c2/c3 facet joint blocks. The relief I got lasted from 4-9 days. I am now scheduled for decompression surgery the 27th. I said no ablations because I've read many places that once the nerve is damaged from ablation the likelihood of a successful decompress goes down.

03/17/2012 03:36 PM
DrP

gbeasley,

Decompression is certainly possible after nerve blocks as all they are are injections of local anesthetics (sometimes with steroids as well) and should not cause permanent damage to the nerve unless they are injected intraneurally which would be like hitting a needle in a haystack. The reasons you may not have gotten relief are several:

1. abnormal anatomy so that the targeted nerves were never blocked

2. poor injection technique

3. blocking a distal branch when a more proximal branch is the problem

To learn more, go to www.peledmigrainesurgery.com. Hopefully you'll find some useful information there.

03/17/2012 03:52 PM
gbeasley

Thank you so, so much for your response! I have had the nerve blocks, but also ablations to C2, C3, and C4. I have just had no relief from nerve blocks or ablations and kinda at a stopping point for what to do next. Heard from others sometimes surgery doesn't work after ablations?? I am very fortunate that these headaches are not debilitating and I am still able to work and function. I just have a constant dull headache with it getting severe about several times a week (mostly during the night waking me up). My heart aches for those that have it so much worse than me. Thanks so much for all your advice and help. I have read your link and it seems you have such wisdom and huge heart for those of us struggling with chronic headaches. I live in NC and have been seeing a doctor at Duke, but am being to look elsewhere as i have not found relief.

03/17/2012 04:50 PM
RAH468

gbeasley - I feel the EXACT same way you do. I have been dealing with ON for a relatively short amount of time - about 17 months. My ON is in the back of my head on the left side mainly. I have been blessed to have had a swift progression from diagnosis to surgey with doctors along the way who are aware of ON and how to treat it. I have been able to function at work (I teach) and home with help of meds - which I hate taking. However, this past Tuesday I ended up in the ER as nothing I took could get the excruciating pain under control. That was the worst it's been since two attacks at the end of May after neck surgery. I saw my pain management doc Thursday for a nerve block in hopes that it will hold me over during my spring break trip and until the 27th when I have surgery. My pain doc said he's glad my surgery is soon as he can tell it's getting worse (between asking for a shot and the ER trip). I told him I don't know how people can function with frequent and bad migraines. He said that he'd rather deal with the loss of a limb than have to endure what migraine sufferers go through. I hope you are able to find a doc near you who can help. Maybe Dr. Ducic at Georgetown? Hang in there!

03/21/2012 06:49 PM
gbeasley

Thank you so much RAH468! It is actually comforting to hear that you also have ON yet are still able to function (mostly!) on a day to day basis. From what i can read and have researched, most of those suffering are debilitated. So, so so sad and breaks my heart, as I can on bad days so sympathize with them and CAN NOT IMAGINE how in the world they do it. I of course had never heard of ON until almost 2 yrs of jumping from doctor to doctor with no diagnosis or relief. And then once I began to research it, it is just terrible how many have it. I too have ended up in the ER twice thinking my head was literally going to explode! There is actually a girl suffering from my small hometown and has been in the bed (with two kids) for over two yrs due to a car accident. She is finally finding a little relief from decompression surgery and botox. She is seeing Dr. Williams in Baltimore and had surgery with Dr Jho in Pitts. At this point, im not sure what my next step should be, as I am still so baffled about not getting numb EVER from any nerve blocks (could not even tell they had been done!) and the nerve ablations. I an trying acupuncture again (new lady who seems aggresive). Tried last summer before actual diagnosis of ON so it did not help as the lady kept thinking my headaches were hormonal so what she did did absolutely nothing! Going tomorrow for second treatment, praying it helps!

It is so nice to be able to be in contact with others suffering and know exactly the pain we experience. Just seems to be a little easier! Hope your nerve block is still holding strong and you are enjoying your spring break. I know you are ready for the 27th and surgery! The end of your headaches are hopefully near!!

03/21/2012 08:46 PM
mamalu
mamalu  
Group Leader

Yes it is comforting to know that we understand. It feels sometimes like even the people that love us the most don't have a clue what this is like. I get looks like again or really or the lights get turned on. Arghhh that is the worst when I am migraining. I have just learned that they have no clue and can't get it because they have never experienced this pain.

03/22/2012 08:21 PM
snelko
snelko  

gbeasley I had two nerve blocks and they both made my headaches worse. I tried pretty much everything, including lots of meds, accupuncture, chiropractor, and physical therapy, nothing worked until I had my nerve decompression surgery. That is the only thing that helped.

03/26/2012 01:16 PM
gbeasley

Did you get numb from those blocks? Did you have ablations? I am 4 weeks post ablations, and no relief yet. Never got numb from blocks. I am scared now that docs won't see me since I had ablations. Also nervous if I do go out of state to see a doc, that I will again not get relief from nerve blocks therefore they will not do decompression surgery! Stuck! Thanks for your help!

03/27/2012 08:22 AM
gbeasley

RAH468, quick question for you since it seems we are totally in the same position! Gosh, it is so nice to have someone that is in my similar shoes and been through this that I can ask questions to! So I have been researching Dr. Ducic in Georgetown since you mentioned him. I have also seen others speak of him on this forum. I contacted his nurse today, and she explained that I would need to fill out the New Patient Request Form online and submit to him to see if I would be a candidate for his practice. So of course I am all in for paying the $145 application fee, as that seems to be nothing in comparison to what I have been paying and he may be my answer!!!! I then spoke to a friend that also has ON and she said Dr. Ducic would not see her because she had had botox and that didn't help and he would only see you if you had tried botox and that gave you releif. Was wondering if this was your experience (OR ANYONE ELSES!!!!) Did you have a successful botox treatment before seeing him???? I am nervous because I didn't have relief from nerve blocks, (but never got numb either) so I hope that he doesn't reject me! Just wondering if anyone else has been down my same path!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYONES HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved