MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/20/2011 04:34 PM

Costs of decompression surgery?!

Nskoog24

I have to decide whether to get an occipital nerve stimulator implant from medtronics or have nerve decompression surgery with Dr. Bray here in LA. It seems that no surgeons accept insurance for this surgery and it's cash pay only. Anyone else agree or can share their experience from the decompression surgery? How did you come up with funding? Would you recommend this?

12/20/2011 09:20 PM
AnotherMime
AnotherMimePosts: 38

There are surgeons who do accept insurance for decompression of C2/C3 occipital nerve. Dr. Jho accepts insurance. http://www.drjho.com/ He is in pittsburgh and according to the office staff, the success ratio is fairly high. I'm sure there are other surgeons who accept insurance, he can't be the only one in the nation who does.

12/21/2011 08:24 AM
MigraineMama

We are currently waiting to hear if our insurance company will cover nerve decompression surgery with Dr. Guyuron in Ohio. He accepts insurance and his office submitted everything for us.

Not sure how we'll fund it if insurance refuses, but we'll find a way. This is the first real hope for our daughter in over a year.

Good luck to you!

12/22/2011 09:44 AM
Nskoog24

Thank you both! I'll be looking into others now who may take insurance...wish I had $20,000 just stowed away for something like this..but I don't! Best of luck to you both!

12/28/2011 08:47 AM
MigraineMama

We just got word that our insurance approved the surgery with Dr. Guyuron. I am praying that you are able to find a doctor who takes your insurance as well!

12/28/2011 08:57 AM
rjgolden

Congratulations Mama!

01/04/2012 08:56 PM
Arlet
ArletPosts: 165

Dr. Perry accepts insurance. It's just a matter of whether the insurance agrees to cover the surgery. BCNSTX has not covered either surgery for me, so my husband and I went to a local credit union (Smart Financial) and got a loan by putting our car up for collateral. The credit union had much lower interest rates than any of the banks we contacted.

For patients whose insurance will not cover the surgery, Dr. Perry charges $15,000.

01/04/2012 10:55 PM
Nskoog24

I did speak with Dr. Perry's office abd they accept only two types of insurance so I may switch insurances for that. Houston is closer to LA than some of the other surgeons in the US performing this surgery. Thanks for the info! And congratulations migrainemama!!

01/07/2012 08:06 PM
DISORDER

what ones are they if I could ask

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved