MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/21/2011 05:51 PM

Question about nerves after surgery

theorchidthief
theorchidthiefPosts: 87

This has been bothering me. Chloe, you may know the answer. As you know, I had the ON surgery on March 16 with Dr. Ducic. Why does healing take so long? If the nerves were decompressed, they are decompressed, right? I'm not trying to be a smartass or funny. I really want to know the physical reasons...for example, my nerves were "hideously compressed by the muscles and also entwined with the artery" according to the dr. So once that is fixed, wouldn't the pain go away since the tension is gone? This is a legitimate question that I do not understand.

03/21/2011 09:26 PM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

I had the same question and it was explained to me like this. While you suffered the nerves were a certain way. Once decompressed they can be traumatized for months settling in the new positions and calm down. My surgeon said that after a few days they flare up and get really angry and sensitive and this takes a long time to settle; even up to 8 months. Even now if you touch mine it feels like if you were to wipe your fingers over a very badly gravel-rashed knee. It slowly gets better. With my surgery the headache disappeared immediately post surgery but was replaced by this pain.

It isn't just the head nerves that do this. I remember when I had a car accident 20 years ago I ended up with a crushing injury in my butt with the sciatic nerve. The doctors told me then not to settle until 2 years post accident as it will only be then that the nerve would be healed all it was going to be; that nerves seem to take the longest time to heal after being traumatized.

I guess when I think about it, I think that my nerves were so tangled up and twisted that after being untangled they have to settle into the new positions. Nerves are the pain receptors so are going to cause the most pain if messed with. Even if they aren't compressed they have been spasming for so long maybe they have to learn to settle.

Another thing that is just my guess is that like fibromyalgia it is a possible over reaction after spasming for so long they may just have to learn not to be so sensitive and settle down.

I have found that rubbing my fingers through my head constantly helps this desensitization especially after icing and during the shower. The Texas docs prescribe a specific physiotherapy for their patients after surgery using ice heat and rubbing for desensitization... Arlet/heather will be able to tell you more about that.

It seems that not all people get this so I hope you are one that heals faster.

I hope this helps. Maybe others might know more.

Chloe

Oh gosh I hope this makes a little sense lol

Post edited by: cmiller, at: 03/21/2011 09:45 PM

03/22/2011 02:07 AM
xutka

I am not a doctor, nor a patient post ON surgery... but I can tell you nerves take a while to heal

maximum 2 years

your surgery as very recent and your nerves are probably quite sensible and starting the process of regeneration..... it takes a while for them.

take it easy and give it time.

03/22/2011 04:42 AM
theorchidthief
theorchidthiefPosts: 87

Thanks to you both. This helps.

03/22/2011 12:43 PM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

oh another thing I use is this little copper device I was given years ago as a head massager. I have seen them in fun shops... they look like a cupped copper thing with tentacles and I use this on my head to desensitize the nerves. It works pretty well. If anyone knows the name of this thing it would help?

I also want to add that some days when I have not gone out or done much the sensitivity is quite low... I can only think this means the nerves get more sensitive with more stimulation from noise wind etc

I hope this helps.

Chloe

03/23/2011 09:55 PM
bobswifeamy
bobswifeamy  

Chloe, when you speak about the 'head sensitization' issue, is it a feeling like your scalp has been sunburned? That's how mine feels, esp right above each ear, like where glasses touch you. Being of fair skin, I have had my scalp sunburned numerous times, and that's exactly how my head feels all over, and it gets worse when the pain meds wear off.

03/23/2011 10:17 PM
snelko
snelko  

Just to add my two cents. Most of the pain I had post surgery (other than the incision site) was this feeling of something running up and down the back of my head. I used to say I had mice back there running up and down. The doc said that was the nerves regenerating. I did occaisionally have spikes of pain, but I wouldn't necessarily say it was like sunburn. The closed to the sunburn pain was at the actual incision site.

Sandy

03/23/2011 11:29 PM
bobswifeamy
bobswifeamy  

Thanks, Sandy. Kinda funny, because the incision sites are the one place I don't have the sunburned feeling! lol the worst place is right above my ears. Feels raw... Dr D told me that's where the Lesser Occ nerve runs, and that's the one he excised, so maybe that has something to do with it???

03/24/2011 09:48 AM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

It does feel like really bad sunburn. I am probably not the best to ask because I still have a top area that may need surgery and who knows how much that has affected the sensitivity. I also have type 2 diabetes and that alone doesn't help with my healing or the sensitivity. DrP explained to me that even if you have good sugar numbers which I don't the nerves retain more fluid. Sometimes it feels like a tight cap on my head too.

I hope this helps,

Chloe

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved