MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/18/2011 11:19 PM

Surgery for Bobswifeamy(page 6)

mamalu
mamalu  
Group Leader

So Amy I am wondering if you still hear the noises from your incision? I am happy you were able to take a nap after the great bath. How are you sleeping? In a recliner or in a bed ? Also cause the cuts are on both sides I am wondering how u can sleep...

03/19/2011 03:12 AM
bobswifeamy
bobswifeamy  

lol no, the squeaking sounds were only for a day or two, fortunately. I think it was fluid, like from the internal swelling or something. Had a bath again today, thank goodness. But I didn't wash my hair again... my husband started yesterday,,, GRRR right after I washed my hair... putting the Neosporin on my incisions... he said he thought they looked a little irritated after I shampooed my hair, and if course I was very gentle, and used lukewarm water, etc. And after Shorty posted about one of her incisions being infected when she went to have the stitches removed, I decided it was a good idea, to keep putting the ointment on twice a day. Can't hurt, right?

It's easy to sleep in terms of the pain-no problem. I'm sleeping in my bed. My incisions are on the back of my head, and I sleep primarily on my sides or stomach, although sometimes I sleep on my back. The inability to sleep more than 3-4 hrs at a time has nothing to do with pain. Melanie, Dr D's nurse told me it's not uncommon for folks to have difficulty sleeping after having general anesthesia. I don't know why it is... As long as I take my pain meds, I'm very comfortable. The local numbing meds that were put into my head during surgery lasted over a week, in fact, I think I still have a little of that now, 9 days post op. I have a little spiral notebook, and we write down each time I take pain meds, just to keep up with it, and so I don't forget. Today for instance, I went a little too long without taking it, because I felt so good, and then the pain crept up on me. And then it takes awhile before the meds kick in - it isn't immediate. My bad on that one. lol

Also, I apologize for not getting back to you about the question you asked: I don't know the particulars of the excision surgery, with regards to the lesser occipital nerve being removed. I know he took it out, but I don't know the surgical technique. But Dr D is all about giving you as much info as you want, so email him if you don't want to wait until your appt. I had a list of questions I took with me on my consult appt with him, and he patiently answered them all. I got all the info I needed for my decision. You are correct in pursueing the level of detail you need to make your decision. Meghan (Orchid Thief) also had hers excised, as well, I believe.

03/19/2011 06:30 AM
theorchidthief
theorchidthiefPosts: 87

I am not even going to ask about the squeaking sounds. EW!

Re: the excision surgery - what he does is cut the nerve and bury it in the muscle so it cannot regrow. That is how it was explained to my family members after surgery (mom and aunt). So it's actually not taken completely out.

03/19/2011 04:01 PM
annieohio
annieohioPosts: 131

Amy, I'm still following your recovery,and it sounds like you've been doing ok. Please do continue posting often, it means a LOT to hear the day-by-day recovery process.

Annie

03/20/2011 08:20 AM
bobswifeamy
bobswifeamy  

@Orchid, thanks for supplying the info. @Annie, thank you for your kind words.

03/20/2011 08:28 AM
bobswifeamy
bobswifeamy  

Day 10 Post Op: I have weaned down to one pain pill every 11.5 hrs! And my pain level was down to about 2 before I took the pill.

I actually slept for 5 hrs w/out waking up last night. So, that's slowly getting better.

Still struggling a bit w/constipation, presumably from the pain pills. It's not as bad as it was a few days ago, but still not back to normal. I'm taking 4 Colace a day now, 2 fiber pills, eating high fiber cereal. Also, eating a little bit of no sugar added ice cream-the sugar alcohols tend to have a laxative effect. My friend used to work for a GI Dr, who would routinely tell patients -instead of going and buying a laxative- eat some sugar free chocolate or ice cream-he said that would do just as good a job. I have eaten only sugar free ice cream for the past 16 yrs, but I never experienced a problem w/a laxative effect. I have also been very lucky with natural regularity, as well.

03/20/2011 08:46 AM
bobswifeamy
bobswifeamy  

Now I am dealing with my 'normal' head pain. Sad You know, this surgery pain has been a walk in the park compared with my 'regular' head pain of the past 8 yrs. In one respect, becauase it hasn't been AS painful. And in another, the pain level goes down when I take a pain killer. My normal headache has always been unresponsive to pain killers... So even though I took my pain pill an hour ago, while my post op pain is better, my temples are killing me. My left one is so bad I actually feel nauseated. It hurts behind both my eyes, and down into my cheeks- radiating down into my jaw and teeth. And I still have some electric shock pain down into my teeth. Lovely. Fortunately, the Drs were realistic about what to expect from this surgery, and they were right. I'm so glad I listened and didn't have unreal expectations, or I would be very disappointed right now. I keep hearing Dr D saying over and over in my head. 14 mos, 14 mos.. You should be a good bit better in 14 mos (provided I'm able to have all 3 surgeries within that time frame.)

03/20/2011 08:49 AM
bobswifeamy
bobswifeamy  

Also, part of my post surgery pain is from areas other than the incision sites. It's behind the crown and above and behind the ears. The best way I can describe is is like when I have sunburned my scalp over the years. It feels like that. I haven't been able to feel where that permanent numbness is supposed to be. He did say it would be a very small spot.

03/20/2011 11:35 AM
Julesabby

Amy, Thanks for all the updates.. Sorry you are having the other pain hopefully with the next surgery it will all get better for you. Did you travel far to go see him or do you live close ? I wonder how long someone would have to wait after to surgery to get on an airplane to come home ?

Jules

03/20/2011 02:23 PM
bobswifeamy
bobswifeamy  

I live closeby. If traffic is good, we can make it in just over an hr. I live in Northern VA, and he is @ Georgetown, in Washinton, DC. Several of our Drs are that far away, so we don't think anything of driving up there. We used to live closer, but made the choice to move out to the country 8 yrs ago. We love it out here- love the quiet, the clean air, the privacy and peacefulness. So, it's a trade-off to have to drive in.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 6 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved