MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/05/2011 04:00 PM

Post surgery update

cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

Hi everyone,

I have felt quite good the last few weeks apart from the back of the crown area that wasn't checked.

the doctor hopes it will heal but it hasn't changed one bit so it seems I have to wait a few months to have it taken care of. Meanwhile it gives me the same pain as ON on that one branch.

A few days ago when I went to a hospital for rehab physio to get some strength back after laying around for the last few years I had a setback that shocked the begeesus out of me. I am five months out from my first surgery and with my ON I did struggle with severe sound sensitivity which has been the last to go. Most days it's pretty good now. But the noise in the waiting area where I had to register for the physio was so bad on my nerves that within minutes the whole back of my head ... even the right side that had been going well took me to a level 10... I was devastated! I fumbled through the physio and can't really remember much, only that I did only a few minutes on three machines just so the physio could see where my base strength was at. I was freaking the phsyio guy out a bit because he could see that I was in physical pain with constant spasms and really didn't want to do anything but talk about where to start.

I went home sobbing and collapsed in bed with what felt like full on ON. I iced and lay quietly for the night and by the next evening I was doing fine. I don't want to sound crazy but I am positive it was the "building noise" with the kids crying in the waiting room, the two televisions were out of sync and there were so many conversations happening that the whole back of my head was spasming.

All this to say it sure surprises me so far out of surgery... but I am hoping that because I still have one area not done in surgery thatit could be this area that was referring the pain elsewhere.

I am very thankful that I have had the surgery, however, I think each of us wishes we will be part of the 29% who have complete pain relief from these surgeries but realisitically it is under 1/3. However, it has dramatically changed my life for the better already and I am hoping that my surgeon will find the last compressed area and things will be great. I have to post the bad with the good here to make everyone aware that recovery with this surgery is not always a piece of cake.

My doctor did say that nerves can take a long time to heal. I still have hope I will one day be part of the completely healed group.

hugs,

Chloe

03/05/2011 06:10 PM
Teah

Chloe, thanks for the update and I hope things will continue to improve you.

03/05/2011 09:43 PM
Julesabby

Chloe - You are doing great for having both sides done !! You give us all hope that one day there will be more doctors out there doing this procedure.. I have lost so much of my Life since all this happened to me..

Jules

03/06/2011 10:52 PM
Trixi
Trixi  

Chloe - you are doing great! And nerves DO take a long long time to heal. I can't take the noise of a BB game. We went to see the Milwaukee Bucks play and I was in a "good spell" and had to leave cuz it brought on such a bad headache and it WAS all the noise, the music, the screaming people the squeeking of the bb shoes on the wood floor - eek - still makes me cringe...

You might want to discuss with your PT that you can't take the waiting room noise and cuold he get you into a room upon your arrival so you could actually DO the PT. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to help you with that!

Keep up the good work!!!

Trixi

03/08/2011 02:08 AM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

Hi Trixi

I hope you are doing better? The whole sound thing sucks. Just from your description of the BB game scares me lol. I am getting better... slowly. Spent a fantastic day in the backyard Saturday gargening and then got blindsided when I tried to do the same sunday but the barometric pressure attacked me lol.

Thanks Teah and Jules, I know you guys are suffering so much and hope each of you find help soon.

hugs,

Chloe

Post edited by: cmiller, at: 03/08/2011 02:09 AM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved