MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/15/2010 04:09 PM

ON and peripheral neuropathy

specialboys

Was wondering if you all think there is a connection between the two? As I am trying to piece together all of these crazy things that are happening to my body, it seems as though I feel like I have a sort of "restless leg" syndrome, but not just in the legs, in many different areas.

Thanks for reading my numerous posts! Smile

11/15/2010 06:17 PM
Trixi
Trixi  

hmmm, I don't know. I think it's a question for a neurologist.

11/15/2010 11:12 PM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

I have both... no connection at all as far as I know. Periferal neuropathy is heavily associated with diabetes. It happens when nerves slowly die especially in the feet because the nerves are so tiny... they die because of poor sugar control... the higher your blood sugar the thicker the blood ... gets too thick for those tiny nerves. Are you a diabetic and have it or just researching because? ON is caused by compression of the greater and lesser occipital nerves or their branches... there is mention on websites that diabetes can cause ON and I guess that that is the only relation to peripheral neuropathy...however there is no website that explains why diabetes is mentioned...I can only assume that if your blood sugars were so out of control for so long arteries can swell and compress the nerve...it still goes back to compressing the nerves... not sure how you are relating any of this to your concussion.

After one receives a trauma the body can have shock which can cause all kinds of unusual pains which decrease over time which may be what is happening to you.. please try not to focus on them... my concern for you is your anxiety over what this concussion MAY have caused to your body. It still seems early days and it may be better for you to try to relax and let the body heal. Good luck,

Chloe

Post edited by: cmiller, at: 11/15/2010 11:17 PM

11/16/2010 05:54 AM
specialboys

Chloe,

Thank you for your honest insight. I am not diabetic and do think that anxiety has gotten the best of me. I also think that the internet can be a very helpful or very anxiety producing place when we are anxious to seek out answers, but I understand I am going to have to trust the process and see what develops over time.

Thank you for your kind and comforting words Smile

Lisa

11/16/2010 02:37 PM
brugette
brugette  

Lisa, I think you're right, slow down, deal with the concussive issues and then see what is going on in your body. The mind is a powerful organ and can more problems than we truly have. Try to find some time to do some quiet mindfull breathing exercises. I know with what you are dealing with that sounds impossible, but I think and have found personally that it does help.

Some people say that God only give you what you can handle, I have come to realize that that statement was not true for me. You are going through so much I just wish that you can find a way to relax, focus on one issue at a time and find some good docs who will help you through all this. Take care of yourself and focus on getting through the concussion issues then take it from there. Your body take time to heal even after the symptoms abate.

Hugs,

Patty

11/16/2010 04:50 PM
specialboys

Thanks for your kind and warm words Patty...you are right, the mind is a VERY powerful thing and I need to work on that aspect of dealing with this process. I recognize that this is something that I cannot control but hope to learn to manage the ups and downs as time passes. Hopefully the old adage "time heals all wounds" may have some positive impact Smile

Take care,

Lisa

11/20/2010 09:07 PM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

Hey Specialboys,

Are you getting any better after your concussion?

Hugs,

Chloe

11/21/2010 08:38 AM
specialboys

Hi Chloe,

Thanks for checking in...my head seems to be the least of my problems right now (although I have my hours of the day when it is pretty intense). BP has been up and down and have been having some hypoglycemia that even after eating isn't settling down. My appetite has been down significanly since the concussion. Dr. took blood last week and I am calling first thing tomorrow to see if they have any results back....not sure that any of this is necessarily ON related but he did say that my adrenals might need to be checked. I think that the concussion was just a precursor to some of these other issues, but I guess time will tell!

Hope that you are doing okay today Smile

Hugs,

Lisa

11/21/2010 08:53 AM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

Oh I am sorry you are having hypoglycemia. Did you have it before? I hate the feelings you get with a hypo. Make sure you have some sweet orange juice or glucose candy even or whatever can give you your blood sugar a hit asap. When your blood gets that low you feel very exhausted after. I hope you feel better soon.

hugs,

Chloe

11/21/2010 09:14 AM
specialboys

Chloe - I was never officially diagnosed but since childhood I have always had to eat regular and balanced meals in order not to feel spacey/exhausted....this is unlike anything I have ever had before - now I even still feel shaky after eating....hoping the blood test will give us some answers. Wondering if it is the clonazepam he put me on??

Take care, Lisa

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved