MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/13/2010 02:55 PM

ON has really affected my eyes says optometrist

cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

I had bad news today. I got new glasses a few months back and when I got them I had trouble seeing out of them. I thought it must have been my headache and that eventually I would get used to them which I did not. I spoke to my optometrist who said come on in to check my sight again. In the two weeks from when he did the tests to getting my glasses I had a major blowout in my right eye.

What this means is that I had major trauma. He said it couldn't possibly be his readings because the number difference was huge. He said if he measured in "clickS" on his machine someone who's eyesight was declining steadily and poorly that they may have up to a 2 click max over a two year perid... mine was a whopping 4 clicks. He said that he has only read about this in his 30 year experience from war vet eye doctors relating stories of vets being too close to blasts and suffering sight injuries.

He asked if I felt specific eye pain at any time... I belly laughed... with ON it was the eye the top of the head the middle back behind the ear ... daily!

He told me to come back in about four weeks to check againn and he will change the glasses for free then but to give the eye time to heal after the neurosurgery.

This seems a crazy story. Has anyone else noticed a rapid eye sight change. He had checked for diabetic haemorrhaging when I first visited for new glasses and it was minimal. I have called him back to ask if maybe this was the cause... It's a mystery.

If anyone has any insight on this or has had problems with sight with ON (I know I couldn't resist the pun hehe) I would appreciate your input.

Chloe

Post edited by: cmiller, at: 10/13/2010 02:59 PM

10/13/2010 03:10 PM
Arlet
ArletPosts: 165

I've noticed that my eyesight has gotten a lot worse since the ON, and I, too, had very frequent eye pain. I know I need to see an ophthalmologist to get my eyes checked, but I've been waiting for the eye pain to dissipate, hoping the worsening vision was only temporary. I know that fluctuating blood sugars have immediate effects on vision, but that once the sugars stabilize, vision should return to normal, but I have no idea what the mechanics of ON are on the eye. Did your optometrist seem to think the eye trauma was from the daily ON pain, the actual surgery, or both? I'm very interested in this. Please keep us updated!

10/13/2010 03:27 PM
bmac
I'm an Advocate

Chloe - So sorry to hear about this new problem! I guess you wonder when will it stop!

I have never heard of anything like this. Should you get a second opinion??

You are in my prayers.

You have such a wonderful sense of humor. God bless you.

BMac

10/13/2010 05:19 PM
MelRose
MelRosePosts: 117

Chloe, I am so sorry to hear this. I would recommend a second opinion with an ophthalmologist (an MD) instead of the optometrist. There is a lot of technology to take pictures of the inside of the eye. I had a retinal bleed because of very high blood pressure and didn't know it; he found it after taking the picture of the inside of my eyes; and then took my bp and it was sky high. That was before my ON started. Just another option to try. I wish you the best.

Melanie

10/13/2010 06:40 PM
snelko
snelko  

Chloe,

Prior to my accident, I had 20/20 to 20/15 eyesight (thanks to LASIK years earlier). During my bout with ON, it had gotten so poor, that I thought I was never going to see well again. After I did have the surgery, and finally went to my eye doc, he was surprised, at how poorly I was seeing. He said give it some time, and sure enough, it came back after about 6 months. In addition to affecting my vision (sight), it also affected my peripherial vision as well.

10/13/2010 08:27 PM
brugette
brugette  

Chloe, sorry that you're facing another possible challenge, I'm hoping like Sandy it will improve over time. I saw a neuro-ophtomologist last year and after driving there, but getting lost first, which made my drive time 1 hr of constant stop and go cause horrible eye pain by the time he saw me. He suggested I see a doc he knew who could do "the brain surgery needed to "work" on the V-1 nerve that goes to the eye". I forget what he said the doc would do to the nerve, cut, RFA, but I think when he said brain surgery I went brain dead. I knew there was no way. If you can google "images" and but in V-1 nerve to eye or something like that you'll see what nerve he was talking about. But he did not see any problems with my eyes, which was great to finally see a doc when I was in horrific pain and he see no proble with the eye.

But, yes, my vision has decreased in my right, where the pain is, a little more than the left. I also get a dischage from the right eye, more than left, similiar to pink eye and sometime the right eye is red, irritated like pink eye but that usually goes away in 24 hours, go figure. Since my rhizotomy at C4-7 has worn off, both eyes feel irritated, I'm rubbing them alot, and there's a gooey(sp?) discharge in both now more than last year.

Just what we need, something else to deal with until we can ge the surgery for the ON.

Hugs to all,

Patty

10/13/2010 08:51 PM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

I will get a second opinion. I tend to write from my heart and then my brain takes time to process it all. It seems that ON does affect the eye/s. I get the pictures taken inside the eye for my diabetes on a regular basis. How does one find a good opthamologist? I know the one crazy thing in this is that my blood pressure has stayed pretty much 130/80 thank goodness. All your wonderful posts help me see that I definately need to give the surgery time to heal and maybe by the time I get a second opinion appointment things will have settled like you say Sandy. Patty, my goodness your post sounds scary.

I hope things will settle... that will be fantastic if it does. today I could actually follow the pain today right over my occipital nerve from the base over the top right to that groove in the eye... the nerve seemed raised... maybe this was just a bad day. The optometrist did call back and said I should come in to check diabetic haemorrhaging where they photo the inner part of the eye. Will do that while I wait for another opinion appt. Thank you everyone for helping me understand this.

Chloe

10/14/2010 04:02 PM
brugette
brugette  

Chloe, I would look up every hospitals in my area, looked under the speciality of neurology and opthomology and see if on their page it mentions neuro-opthomologist. Hopefully you can find a good one. I also get a little swelling above the eye area when the pain starts, interesting.

Yea, my neuro-opthomologist scared me to death and I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I'm sure he thought he knew what I needed, but not for me, maybe someone else with a different type of eye problem.

Patty

10/17/2010 09:18 PM
Trixi
Trixi  

I'm sorry Chloe....hugs to you!

10/18/2010 03:08 PM
annieohio
annieohioPosts: 131

This topic really interests me. Hubby commented to me last week, that if he gets a bonus at work - he wants me to get my eyes checked. No optical ins but I'm thinking I'll call ins co tomorrow and ask if the neuro requests a neuro-optho check - if the ins will cover it. My neuro always checks my eyes when I'm there. I only use "readers", but I've noticed that I'm using MUCH more lately.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved