MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
07/01/2010 03:49 PM

Myofascial Release for ON

cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

Hello my friends.

I haven't been on much because sitting at the computer seems to irritate my ON. Anyway, after my anterior discectomy I have had some relief from light and sound sensitivity so much that I can now sit in the sunshine and thats fantastic for me after two years in "my dark cave".

The surgeon agreed with me that after laying in bed so long I should go to physiotherapy to get some strengthening work. I am now seeing a physio who has trained in myofascial release. This works by the therapist moving their fingers slowly over the "trigger points" that they believe cause headaches. The fascial membranes run throughout the muscles and can get lumpy knots of tissue. They use pressure to make that knot unwind so to speak. They also stretch out the fascial membranes and muscles. The therapist trained under Dr. Travell who was private physician to President Kennedy due to his injuries while fighting for his country... anyway this guy swears that he can fix my "occipital neuralgia" and believes that it is a fascial membrane problem for anyone who has ON. I have been once and go again today. During the first session I was very dubious especially after his lecture about ON being a diagnosis meaning "throw it in to ON because its too hard to deal with". He says there is an initial injury and then the body tries to protect this injury by tightening up the muscles around it which causes the fascial membranes to react and knot up putting pressure around the nerves. Soooo to him it is muscle not nerve that we should be treating.

I was down right scared when he was twisting my neck and head in all kinds of directions.. initially causing pain and then eventually all my headaches and head/nerve pain dissipated. I came home and had 24 hours of pain free time... it was fantastic!... So lets see today as it is supposed to be done many times so the brain starts recognizing these new stretched out positions as normal again. Has any one else had this treatment???

You can look up information about this on youtube a DrjonathanKuttner has some good info on it that is pretty easy to understand. Check out his youtube info first and then look at the link below which is his trigger point finder that I found really helpful. I can actually now feel these knots and by putting pressure on them I feel the headache pain worsen and then stop. Pretty interesting stuff... http://www.triggerpointmaps.com/

I am starting to believe that at worst this info can help each of us see if myofascial release can help with our ON. I kind of get that there is no point treating the nerve with blocks if the muscles and fascial membrane is still constricting the nerve. I have suffered this horrid ON whatever it may be for two years this coming week so I feel it is worth trying this technique...

I will let you know how todays session works.

Hugs to all

Chloe

Post edited by: cmiller, at: 07/01/2010 03:54 PM

07/01/2010 04:32 PM
Trixi
Trixi  

Hi Chloe - I looked at his site. Pretty interesting. My neuro and I always figured my issue was muscle related and that the muscles strangled the nerves and inflammed them and that gave me ON. Which is why on really acute days the relpax would work since one of it's side effects is relaxing the muscles - ALOT! So I believe this is a good thing for you to try!

However, in a case like mine where I had no injury but have a chonic inflammatory disease which attacks my tendons, joints and spine I don't know if it could fix me. I still think that the RFA in my case was the right choice. But if I were out in CA - I'd definately try him!

Hugs and praying this works for you!!! would make sense since you got so tense when you had company and that's what made you worse agin!!!

hug

Trixi

07/03/2010 01:58 AM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

Hey trix thanks for checking out the site... it is interesting. My second session was painful in the muscles but I was amazed that with all the stretching etc they did that it didn't make my head worse... and it did loosen up the muscles. Will keep giving it a try for another few weeks. I was diagnosed with a connective tissue disease due to a high sed rate 60 for the last two years. The Physio said this oculd be due to the fascial membranes being inflamed. Interesting concepts. Will keep u posted.

Hugs

09/09/2010 10:56 AM
luvtohike

Hi Chloe - how is the myofascial release going for you? Making progress? Feeling better?

My daughter is also seeing a doctor that will be treating her with this therapy. First, however, he insists on correcting some of her vitamin and hormone levels that are off, that support muscle health. These are B12, D, thyroid, testosterone and ferritin. We are done with that, now, and she begins the actual trigger point therapy this weekend. It takes 6-10 weeks of weekly appointments to get lasting relief. He also wants to teach her to keep her own trigger points relaxed. We are super hopeful about this! She may be left with occasional migraines, but we can work with that!

Good wishes....Cool

09/09/2010 12:07 PM
brugette
brugette  

Glad your doc is treating your daughter by correcting her vits and hormone levels. I just had a lot of blood work done and my first test was the Vit D and my level was a 6, the "acceptable" lowest level is 30, so I've just started a Vit D script today. I also get B-12 shots every month, 2 cc's. Finally a smart doc. I wish you both the best of luck with the therapy. Let us know how it goes.

Gentle hugs to you both,

Patty

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved