MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/06/2011 12:34 PM

Pain Meds for OCD

JCooper
JCooper  

I have tried Prozac, Lexapro, Paxel and everything else but they didn't work for my OCD. Oddly enough I hurt my back in 2005 and my Dr. put me on Lortab (hydrocodone) for pain, and for some reason it helped with my OCD, I was way more outgoing, not sure if it was just me though. What's the deal, and why did it work for me? I don't know if my OCD was gone completely, but it was like I forgot that I even had it, OCD never crossed my mind while I was on it. The draw back was that I got a glimpse of how good life was without OCD, and my OCD did come back after the dose wore off though, but it worked for about 4 to 6 hours. I DONT RECCOMEND ANYONE TRYING HYDROCODONE FOR OCD, JUST WANT TO KNOW WHY IT HELPED ME.

10/06/2011 08:28 PM
randomeddie
randomeddie  

Are you still using hydrocodone today for your OCD?

10/06/2011 09:02 PM
JCooper
JCooper  

No, haven't went back to the Dr. to get a refill. Now my OCD (maybe its the PTSD) is so bad its an ordeal for me to leave the house.

10/07/2011 07:46 PM
silvermage
silvermage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Hydrocodone is a pretty good pain reliever. it has also been discovered that it has some anti-anxiety properties to it as well. that may explain why it helped in tempering the ocd. unfortunately, hydrocodone is extremely addictive and it has been found that when used in clinical trials for treating anxiety conditions that the human body builds a tolerance fast with it, necessitating larger and larger doses. so the fda refused to allow hydrocodone to be used for such chronic conditions like anxiety disorders. i have heard recentely, at least in my city, that m.d.'s and psychiatrists are phasing out the use of xanax for pretty much the same reason.

Nick

10/07/2011 09:29 PM
JCooper
JCooper  

Yeah I can understand that increasing doses would be needed over time. However, at what rate of increase, and does the dangers of rate of increase outweigh the benefits of temporarily being free from disabling OCD? Also, hydrocodone is an opioid, that binds to opioid receptors in the brain (CNS), so perhaps that could be the root of OCD symptoms, maybe CNS damage or something similar. Do you know what kind of anxiety disorder the tests were done on?

10/08/2011 03:24 AM
silvermage
silvermage  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I am not sure what anxiety conditions were tested. that information was never released to my knowledge. i would say that any drug that ran the risk of causing death at an increased dose would never be risked for treating someone. the benefits may be promising but the risk is too great. much too great. i read about a study a couple years back where an organization in sweden was testing opiods and hullucigenics on people with ocd specifically. neither test made it past the human testing stage. the risks were just too great.

10/08/2011 10:24 AM
LovingL

I'm not aware of this particular drug (hydrocodone), but in doing a little research on it, it seems that it has anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-tussive properties. My 14 YO son has suffered with OCD since he was 6, and we recently found a number of atypical therapies that have made a BIG difference in his quality of life. One is anti-inflammatory supplements; there is increasing evidence that, for some people, inflammation in certain sections of the brain (primarily the basal ganglia) can contribute to the ferocity of OCD. Ibuprofen helps him, but since that's not viable on a long-term, ongoing basis, we've moved to other anti-inflammatory supplements like curcumin, fish oil, D3 and quercitin. It might be worth a try in your case . . . there isn't much to lose, at any rate.

As for the anti-tussive characteristics of the hydrocodone, that peaked my interest because Delsym (yes, the cough suppressant) has been found to be effective for diminishing OCD in some people. Once again, though, there are side effects with its use, so long-term or intensive use just isn't practical. But the science behind what the Delsym, and possibly the hydrocodone, does is still useful. Delsym (or its active ingredient, dextrothemorpan, is thought to absorb excess brain glutamate; glutamate is increasingly thought to play a role in OCD. Researchers have found excess glutamate in the caudate nucleus of kids with OCD, and a current NIMH trial is pitting a glutamate-modulating drug that is FDA-approved for ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), riluzole, against OCD to good results, thus far. So it would seem there's a possibility that the hydrocodone has some glutamate-modulating properties, also.

Some safer glutamate-modulating therapies you could try in place of the hydrocodone might be n-acetylcisteine (NAC), B12, melatonin and taurine. These are all commonly available at health food and/or vitamin stores and have some track record (and research) behind their ability to positively impact glutamate and behaviors thought to be linked to excess brain glutamate.

Just some thoughts! All the best to you!

10/08/2011 12:09 PM
JCooper
JCooper  

I'm sorry to hear that your son suffers from OCD, I too have suffered with it since I was around 6, and in the early 1970's the Dr's didn't seem to know anything about OCD so I wasn't diagnosed for many years after. I don't really know if I was born with it, but I don't have any memories in my life without having OCD. I never knew that anti-inflammatory supplements or drugs could help with OCD, but I will most defiantly give it a try, everything to gain, nothing to lose. I also didn't know about glutamate-modulating therapy either, but I am more than willing to try anything to lead a normal life. Thank you so much for the helpful info, I really appreciate it.

10/08/2011 12:38 PM
submac30
submac30Posts: 12

Really doesn't surprise me that opiates help with your OCD. Opiates make you feel great, that's why so many people get hooked on them. I have a friend who has been addicted to heroin for 8 years and is getting out of rehab...again. I've been diagnosed with unipolar depression and guess what? Amphetamines and opiates cure it! Sadly, no doc will EVER prescribe amphetamine salts or oxycodone to me because then I would just be a junky. Any scheduled drug will help me out, I'm convinced of that. That's why there are so many damn "pill mills" popping up.

10/08/2011 01:10 PM
JCooper
JCooper  

Yeah, it's really easy to get hooked on anything that makes you feel good or gives a euphoric effect. I hope that your friend gets better, heroin addiction is really dangerous and the hardest thing to kick. Yeah, I have seen lots of the pill mills out there, but be careful I think most are just scammers trying to get money.

Post edited by: JCooper, at: 10/08/2011 01:11 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved