MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/26/2010 06:20 AM

New to group

stoneill

I am 63 years old and have struggled with ocd for years. I am afraid to cook for people for fear of making them sick. I am afraid of the sun for me and any one else that is in it. Anyone else have those fears?

03/26/2010 11:01 AM
mitzigirl
mitzigirl  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello stoneill and welcome to our ocd group. It is so nice to have you here with us. My name is Viv and it is a pleasure to meet you.

There are many of us here all with OCD and all of us have some different things that bothers us and some of us have things that are alike. I personally do not fear cooking and making people sick but I used to be so scared of being out in the son and what it could do o me and anyone else. I am not really that way anymore now the sun actually makes me fee alive. I do not get to get out much in it becase of health reasons but I do so enjoy it.

My main problems are obcessing over making someone upset with me for fear they will always leave no matter what. I cannot even stand the thoughts of causing anyone hurt feelings I will obcess hours over that. So I do understand and that is just the tip of the iceburg with me. Please feel free to talk and post and we will with you too thats what we are here for. I look forward to getting to know you. Keep posting with us great to have you here. Many blessings to you!

Post edited by: mitzigirl, at: 03/26/2010 11:01 AM

Post edited by: Robbie, at: 03/26/2010 04:24 PM

03/26/2010 12:02 PM
mem5940

Hi stoneill, It's great to have you in the group. I se you touched on a couple of issues here. The fear of cooking because you will make someone sick is a fairly common problem with people with ocd. It seems to be related to the fear that if I touch someone, or if they touch me, etc, that something bad will happen to that person. You have probably heard of this particuliar obsession before, and what you are dealing with with the food sounds very similiar to this.

I see you aslo ha ve a fear of the sun, or beibg exposed to the sun. There really is a term for this. It's known as heliophobia, so sometimes it helps just to be able to put a name to these things. It really is more common than you might think, and really prolonged exposure to the sun really isn't healthy, but mild exposure to the sun is actually beneficial to us because it causes our bodies to produce melatonin, and this is good for helping with depression.

I hope this has been of some help, and please feel free to post here or send me a private message anytime.

Robbie

Post edited by: Robbie, at: 03/26/2010 04:25 PM

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved