MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/21/2012 08:40 PM

Chronic ocd hair cutting dissorder...Help!!(page 37)

Yesican2

I'm in !! So glad you both Cindy & Linda are getting somewhere in this viscous cycle. I am right behind you!!

Yesi

--- The discussion has been locked ---

02/22/2012 03:53 AM
yoydoi

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but not at all to ocd...I am both sorry and thankful that it appears there are others out there struggling as I do. It gives solace just knowing...I'm just gonna try not to "check" today.

02/22/2012 06:27 AM
linda123

Welcome to the forum Yoydoi. It's a wonderfully supportive forum and we are all in the same boat on this thread, although I know my OCD is not just about the hair cutting, it's repetitive thoughts, anxiety, depression etc, and I'm sure everyone else would say something similar.

But it's good to know that your not alone and can share tips and encouragement with others to get better.

As you say better not to check as for me I know it's always the precursor to cutting. I try to avoid mirrors too and just keep busy.

Yesi - Good for you Yesi! It's good to be positive and hopeful and determined. I'm not going to fail this time I tell you. I've had enough. I've got more fight in me this time. It's just a shame hair doesn't grow quicker than it does! Mine seems to take forever to grow even when I don't cut it and I wonder if it might be down partially to hormones as I'm now 47 and partly anxiety I think. I have a good diet and also take an A to Z vitamin, vitamin E and Omega 3 daily, so I should be healthy enough and am getting more exercise.

If I don't cut it should grow though. It's just got to!

Hope everyone is ok.

Love to all. xx

02/22/2012 02:33 PM
harpgirl
harpgirl  

Welcome Yyoydoi. I haven't been here all that long, but for the months I have...I have learned so much. It is comforting knowing others are going through what you are going through. Doesn't feel so lonely.

I have become more aware of my triggers, done some soul searching. Just like my MS, it isn't one things that makes you better....but rather a bunch of little things all added together and applied. That seems to be helping me gain ground with the OCD. I have more resources now, to not cut. More understanding of the whole cycle and mindset.

It really is geting better. Can't say I won't ever have a setback. But even when I do now, they are short and I bounce back and get back in stride quickly.

- Cindy

02/22/2012 02:34 PM
harpgirl
harpgirl  

Even if I get to the point of having long hair, I'll still come here. Because I know this will be a life long struggle of doing and thinking the right things.

- Cindy

02/22/2012 07:48 PM
amcc41

Hi Cindy and to all, I just had to second what you said above. I have found so much comfort just being able to come here when I feel anxious or upset that I have "ruined" my hair yet again. It has definitely helped me to bounce back from the bad days and also avoid having as many. I think you're all awesome and I'm glad to have found this discussion. Hugs to all of you, AC

02/22/2012 09:32 PM
Yesican2

Ditto and hugs to all. Welcome Yoydoi You will find this is a great encouraging group.

Linda you are right about growing vs cutting. If you think about it your hair only grows a small amount every day and it is the cummulative effect of not cutting where we see improvement. Even if we cut very little in a week we have lost the growth for that week. We may not have gone backward but we didn't gain any either. I think that is why I get so depressed when I even think about wanting to snip!

Yesi

02/23/2012 12:51 AM
linda123

Even if we cut very little in a week we have lost the growth for that week.

Yes I have often thought that is what is probably happening. Doing my best not to sabotage the growth. But if we fail, then we shouldn't beat ourselves up either, and just try again.

It's like having a little devil on your shoulder all the time tempting you to cut your hair. 'just a few snips', 'go on' 'you know you want to' 'one little snip won't hurt'. Devil Ermm

Well this is what I've got to say to this little devil! Tongue

Lets fight the urge. Do something else and stop looking in mirrors. xx

02/23/2012 05:31 AM
penny0305

hi

Its been a long time since I've been on here but I've been reading all the posts. Having a real tough time at the minute - been signed off work again with depression/anxiety for the second time since last september. Having major 'hair obsessions'. I dont cut it myself now - but I panic that its uneven or when my roots start showing through so I'm constantly going to different hairdressers to try and get it fixed - although of course its never right and the whole cycle starts again. Its much worse in the mornings - its the first thing I think about when I wake up then i spend hours redoing my hair to try and make it look 'normal'. Everyone tells me 'its only hair, it doesnt matter' but thats not much help! Frightened Im going to lose my job now. Any support would be much apprecaited. Love and hugs to all. penny x

02/23/2012 08:42 AM
harpgirl
harpgirl  

(((HUGS))) Penny. Are youy taking something for the anxiety? I take Cymbalta and passion flower. They are helping. I don't know if everyone needs something for anxiety. I know I do, or all day long I am obsessed. It is horrible.

I don't have a job, so I don't have to get ready in the mornings. That helps me. I do volunteer two days out of the week, and yes those mornings are harder. That is because some of my anxiety is linked to social anxiety. If I didn't have to get around people, I really would rarely cut.

So, what I have to do....is tell myself it is ok to be around people, and not to think about their reactions to me. I kinda give myself ways to sooth myself should I get odd or upsetting reactions from people (not all of it is in regard to my hair, some of it is MS sensitivity.) Like say, my backup plan is if I got a bad reaction from someone, I then tell myself to look forward to the evening where I will take time for myself. I sit in bed, watch TV and cross stitch. That is comforting to me and what I use to balance the bad times I have to deal with.

In the morning, when I do have to go to school, I always cut some (hope one day that will stop) but try to move my mind off my hair. I bought a glue type product (forget the name, but yellow bottle that says glue something on it) that lets me flatten anything that I think looks bad. That has helped some. Also if I rinse with apple cider vinegar right before I style it....I tend to think it styles and does better. I try to find ways I can fix my hair without actually cutting.

Hope you don't lose your job. If it happens....we will be here. You need a good game plan and then something that helps you difuse the anxiety.

- Cindy

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 37 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved