MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/24/2012 05:10 PM

Chronic ocd hair cutting dissorder...Help!!(page 31)

mem7046

Harpgirl, that is awesome and you hit the nail on the head.. I had a great day on Saturday and had my hair lightened and came home was cleaning up and when i got to the bathroom and i cleaning it and doing fine then it just happened..We do not understand how or why we even start and there I was and with no scissors I was using a razor blade with the straight edge on the back.. Grrr!I then stopped my self and got the heck out of there..I still checked it today and on Sunday but I think im ok now..At least I hope and may need to give the razor away too..I appreciate all your strength, love and encouragement and if we just keep being here for each other I think we will all become so much stronger just from each others being there..Love you all!!
--- The discussion has been locked ---

01/30/2012 09:12 PM
Yesican2

Rhonda & Harpgirl,

You both have done great! Just think of where you have been and how much better you are doing right now. It has been about three weeks since I have picked up any scissors and I feel so much more at peace. I feel like I am so done with this hair cutting drama. I don't think i could go through another episode right now. It takes so much out of you. I know I have been there before but am hopeful this time is different. I wish we could all get there and never go back to that pain again. Keep strong and keep the faith.

Yesican2

01/30/2012 11:26 PM
mem7046

Thank you so much!! Its people like you that helps us to stand strong when we are just about to fall apart...Love ya!!

01/31/2012 03:33 PM
harpgirl
harpgirl  

Thank you yesican2.

The last two days have been bad. Have no idea why. I was doing ok, then out of the blue...I have been struggling to not be in the bathroom.

I feel like I was gaining momentum so it is discouraging. I just looked at a picture of me on facebook from two years ago and although my hair was extremely short it was longer than it is now.

I guess I should look at the fact I have made progress over the long haul. I might still cut, but it is of lesser intensity and less frequent. But I still am cutting.

I am so thankful for you guys.

- Cindy

01/31/2012 07:24 PM
JMS1227

I've been cutting the last few weeks Sad((( very upsetting Sad(((((

01/31/2012 09:47 PM
Yesican2

I have been doing things to get the rest of my life in order and this is helping me to not be focused on my hair. I have been setting daily goals and working hard to stay on task. I have some chronic pain issues and that has gotten in the way some but I am still trying to keep focused. I am doing a home exercise program when i can Thiese two things are helping with my aniexty a lot and I am still feeling more at peace with my hair. I am also trying to keep from making any social comments for a few more weeks to give my hair a little more time to grow. Having any type of social interaction while my hair is extremely short will cause me to cut it trying to make it look better but leaving it alone is the ONLY thing that is going to make it better. And, going to therapy has helped me tremendously. It has helped me to want to do better. Can't say exactly why but just know it has somehow.

JMS, you know what to do.... shake it off, walk away from the mirrors and start a new day. Starting over and breaking the cycle is the first step. After a few days of mourning you will have the strength to go forward. Be strong and get a new focus. Pick a new obsession. Focus on something you have been procrastinating doing. Hang in there friend!! You can do this!!

Yesican2

Post edited by: Yesican2, at: 01/31/2012 10:02 PM

01/31/2012 11:41 PM
mem7046

I am totally going thru the same thing..I cut alittle for a few days then became so tired and fluish I had no choice but to quit..Its hard to believe how this horrible HCD can literally make you sick and break down your immune system.. We really have to stick together and stay strong for ourselves and each other.. Sure wish there was a way we could all meet up and really talk about this like an intervention and support group..What we have here is so amazing I only wish we could do it in person as a group, but this is so much better then not having you guys at all..}I{UGS

02/01/2012 08:33 AM
harpgirl
harpgirl  

Good advice, yesican.

Exercise makes me worse. It drops my blood sugar too much which triggers my adrenaline which triggers my OCD. I can't eat enough when I exercise. I am an extremely low hypoglycemic. Wish I could though. I have tried but I fight my blood sugar issues too much. In time, I hope I will be able to though.

Social outings make me so much worse. I do better when I have no where to do and I can de-stress at home. But once I know I have to be around people I start struggling.

- Cindy

02/01/2012 12:08 PM
linda123

I'm the same as you Cindy. I struggle around people. I find the world a very stressful and difficult place to live in. I feel better when I'm at home. I think I mask it reasonably well, as I work 2 days a week. But I feel very uncomfortable at work, especially as there are some loud characters at work and I'm very quiet, and my self esteem just seems to plummet when I'm there.

I've been doing my best not to cut but it's hard some days not to, even just a little bit. My hair doesn't seem to grow much either. I'm not sure if it stress and depression as to why it doesn't grow much or if it's hormonal/menopause maybe.

02/02/2012 06:43 AM
harpgirl
harpgirl  

The passion flower I started taking for anxiety is helping. Still cutting but it is helpig a lot. A side effect is hair growth. I will say I notice something was happening to my hair and looked up the side effects of passion flower and found out hair growth was one of them.

If you want to check it out, you can look at www.passionflower.org. My hair is thicker too. Which I have had think hair all my life, but the stress of the anxiety has really shown in my hair. My hair seems so much healthier now.

I just need to leave it alone. I do, unless I have to go around people. Pre passion flower I cut all the time no matter if I was going around people or not. Wish I could change how I feel around people and just thinking about being around people.

Interesting I am very quiet too. Wonder if we have that in common.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 31 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved