MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/31/2012 01:04 PM

Worse OCD yet

mem1939

My anxiety and depression has been so high lately that I'm not sure if this surprises me or not but yesterday my husband and I were at a red light and u was tracing a sign (mental compulsion, I trace things in my head) anyways in most cases if I don't get to finish the object I'm tracing I'm ok just feel real uneasy. Incomplete. But ok. I find another object and start again. But yesterday when I couldn't finish for whatever reason I would get angry. It happened several times and one time I ended up in tears. It was horrible. I have lived with this for as long as I remember. It can be a big pain at times and really stress me out but it's never been an actual problem for me until yesterday. Anyways just wanted to put it out there and see what some of you thought? Is this maybe something that could get worse?

04/01/2012 02:16 PM
harpgirl
harpgirl  

I would think you might try to take some steps to nip it in the bud, so it doesn't get worse. Sounds like your anxiety skyrocketed, when you couldn't fisnish. It manifested in anger.

My OCD manifests as hair cutting. But something I have been trying recently to bring my anxiety level down, is breathing. Not just regular breathing. But rather a runner's breathing. In through your nose and out through your mouth. It helps, me. Might try that as you are tracking and see if you can move on without getting angry. Just keep focused on the breathing.....

- Cindy

04/08/2012 11:34 PM
Cat349243

Hi Lin, It sounds like your OCD is starting to flare up worse. I have learnt that it doesn't matter what the content of the OCD obsessions or compulsions are - it is just OCD at its core. So we need to learn to fix the OCD itself. I wonder sometimes about addressing each individual compulsion and obsession with exposure response because something else will pop up in its place (or with me anyways). I have been through so many themes it is not a laughing matter. What the heck IS OCD? What part of out body/brain is malfunctioning? Is it a malfunction? Man one day we will know, and once we address the core problem, the manifestations like obsessions and compulsions will be gone.

Medication is slightly effective, but like my doctor said there is no cure yet and we must live with it. The ONLY books that has helped me are Dr Swartz's book BRAIN LOCK. This is good for obsessions and compulsions but I don't know how good it is for people with pure obsessional OCD. Brain Lock takes a scientific approach and shows PET scans of OCD sufferers brain and that one area is running RED HOT like a nuclear reactor. He teaches REALLY effective Cognitive behavioral therapy that doesn't address themes as such just the base problem/pattern, then after someone has mastered his recommended CBT he shows a scan of the same OCD persons brain and that one little section isn't running as hot anymore. Talking about this has inspired ME to reread the book because my OCD is terrible too at the moment. My Psych says that OCD is only a problem if it hinders your life, sometimes OCD can help a person in life and career. What treatments have you tried Lin?

04/12/2012 12:14 PM
mem1939

Sorry that it took me so long to reply. I have been on medication for it and I learned some really good tips in on of my hospital stays. Things that help with many aspects of my life not just the OCD such as breathing and focus and destraction. My most recent therapist wasnt much of a help on the OCD but great in other areas so I have kind of been dealing with it on my own. Which hasn't been a big deal because I have had the obsessions/compulsions for as long as I can remember an for the most part I have done ok. It only gets really bad when everything else is really bad. Most of my triggers for my bipolar and self-harming are pretty much the same for the OCD but I don't seem to mind it as much. But lately I can't seem to control it anymore. I guess that due to the way my life has been. Up until lately it's just at night when it drives me crazy because I do it in bad and it keeps me awake. Now though it's alway long. I guess getting back on something to clam it down would be best. That way I can get on top of it again and once I do I could always come off the meds if I choose. I have read a lot of self help books over the last few years and I honestly don't get much out I them. I guess I'm more of here it from the mouth type person. I use to research and really care about the causes of the OCD and my illnesses but now I don't seem to care as much. I just go by me and what works and doesn't work for me. I get lost trying to understand it all! Clearly I was not ment to be a doctor! Anyways thanks for you response!!

04/17/2012 05:10 PM
Etherealgirl

Hi I'm new to the OCD group! I am also in the Agoraphobia and Panic attack group. Anyway, I noticed when I try to stop an OCD another one pops up, too! I saw someone mention that in here. My OCD flares when I am stressed and overly anxious. Sometimes I can't even get dressed because I think "bad" thoughts about a particular shirt I pick out. Sad One day I ended up in tears because I felt bad about every shirt I looked at putting on. I've noticed sometimes my OCD is so minimal and other times I can make an OCD about pretty much anything. Does anyone have any OCD about food and eating? I've developed a pretty bad one and have been working on it for MONTHS. I would appreciate any responses. Feel free to PM me, too.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved