MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/08/2011 10:35 PM

none really

souixx
souixx  

hi, i'm sue and new to this group. i have been looking for a support group that might help me cope with my son's disorders, ocd, adhd and agoriphobia. i was finally getting use to his adhd, when at 18 he was diagnosed with the ocd and agoraphobia. we've been told we won't be participating in his recovery, that it may be counter productive with what his psychiatrist's plan for him may be. so i needed some place where i could find support for my husband and i. we are very hopeful for his future and are proud of his accomplishments. thank u now and in the future.

03/08/2011 11:45 PM
mem5940

Hi Sue, It's good to have you in the group. I can sure relate to what you're son is going through. I have dealt with ocd most of my life, and I also had severe agoraphobia for several years. Why does his psychiatrist think it would be counter productive for you to help your son with his treatment? I'm not trying to second gues the psychiatrist, but I don't tend to agree with him/her there, but I am just speaking from personal experience, but I think it's very important for your son to have all the support he can get, and especially family, and you're right that family members need support also, and I hope you will feel at home here. Please feel free to post here, or send me a private message anytime with any questions or concerns you may have.

Robbie

03/09/2011 12:26 PM
souixx
souixx  

hey robbie, thanks for ur imput. when we asked the dr. what we could do to help Cody at home, he said "nothing". anything we would try to do would only interfere with what ever they are doing. which so far, is once every 3 months he see's his psychiatrist, he see's his councelor and he takes his prozac. we don't understand how we r supposed to cope with his disorders, what we are or aren't supposed to do for him. how r we supposed to help him and support him when we aren't given the tools we need? they've talked about behavioral modifications, but we have to set up an appointment with another dr. i feel so lost, i've watched my son go from an outgoing child to this young man who is afraid to step outside, who has to inspect everything,to counting out his rituals, and won't allow anyone to touch him, and i'm supposed to sit back and do nothing. there is one thing i can do better than anyone else...and that's to love him, unconditionally and give him support no matter how small it might be. just some one be there to support me and my family. and i think i have found a place with this group. thank u

03/09/2011 03:08 PM
mitzigirl
mitzigirl  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello Sue it is nice to meet you. My name is Viv and I am so sorry to hear what your son Cody is going through. Also it's hard on you and your husband too and you are in the right place to receive support. I have had OCD a Long time mine tends to be mainly Pure O which means I obcess in my mind over every little thing and if my mind gets on something well lets just say it is like hitting peat and repeat all the time. I am with Robbie and don't really understand what the psychatrist means. I do get they don't want anyone to inable you but he needs support. Like you said though the thing you can always do is love him and make sure he knows no matter what he is LOVED!!! That is so very important and your doing a great job trying to find out what to do to help him best. So many of us with OCD has never had that loving support. In time hopefully he can overcome alot of this and learn to live his life with OCD. In the mean time Sue we are here for you. Please continue to post and talk with us that is what we are here for. Many blessings to you Cody and the rest of your family!

03/09/2011 05:16 PM
mem5940

Hi Sue, It is my pleasure to respond to you, and I know this is a very difficult situation for all of you, and I know the pain and frustration of dealing with ocd and agoraphobia firsthand, and it's a real battle. I was about your son's age when the agoraphobia started, and if it affects him like it did me, then he tends to have a panic attack whenever he tries to leave home, or steps outside of his safety zone. Is this what's happening?

I found that when I finally learned through trial and error how to control the panic attacks, that the agoraphobia lost it's grip on me. The two things that fuel both of these disorders (ocd and agrophobia) is fear and doubt, and I am sure you have witnessed this with your son. I didn't want anyone to touch me either, and I know this is painful to you also, plus seeing your son struggle and not know what to do to help him, but as Mitzygirl said, please continue to let him know that you love him and support him, because I know he feels very alone right now, and is gripped by fear, but the good news is agoraphobia can be conquered, and ocd can be controlled, but it will take time and patience, but please know that there is hope.

I am still not sure about the psychiatrists approach, and honestly it doesn't make any sense to me, but when I was dealing with agoraphobia, I did finally figure out a way of controlling panic attacks, and I have been free from the for over 20 years. This approach also helped Mitzygirl and many others to control their panic attacks. It's very simple, but it's very effective. If you would like me to send you this technique, then I would be more than happy to do so, and if you can print it, you can give it to your son to read, and it can't do anything but help. I am able to go pretty much anywhere now. If I avoid a place it's because of the ocd, and not the agoraphobia, and if your son is having panic attacks, I'm sure he would like to have some information on how to control them, because they are awful. Let me know if you would like me to send you my technique, and I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Robbie

Post edited by: Robbie, at: 03/09/2011 05:19 PM

03/09/2011 07:53 PM
souixx
souixx  

Robbie, i would love to have ur technique. it may help Cody and i. i have panic attacks myself, instead of getting better they seem to be getting worse. i have avoided people for a long time, crowds make me severely sick to my stomach, so i can imagine what Cody goes thru. my son is my world, and anything i can learn or read to help him i will do. so thank u so very much for ur kindness. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved