MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
08/26/2009 04:39 AM

what is this?

justanotherday
justanotherday  

For a long time, i have been struggling with CSP. I thought it was just me with some weird... happening. i didnt realise it could be a problem until i realised it WAS compulsive. Because i do it so openly, my family and friends dont even think anything of it... until i get too far and create big scars. i just say "its just me, i like to pick things"

and so i looked it up... dermatillomania?? yep, thats what it is. has its own name!

it gets so annoyed when you cant stop, even if you want to. its not nice creating more and more scars without being able to help it. its also classed as a form of self injury. anyone see how it figures?

08/26/2009 06:20 AM
babies1
babies1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I've never heard of dermatillomania before now. It seems like I haven't heard about a lot of things lately. I guess there is a name for everything.

It sounds like it is a form of ocd, something you are compelled to do constantly and can't seem to help yourself.

I also know that self injury can come from PTSD, alot of times it is from being sexually molested as a child and usually starts around the age of puberty.

Try to find something to do with your hands that will keep your mind busy when you get the urge to do this. Puzzles are a good example.

Please really try to stop hurting yourself if you can. I know it will be hard. We all care about you and want you to be well from this awlful disease. Hang in there.

hugs, jenn

03/28/2010 09:45 PM
screaminwife
screaminwife  

I have this compulsion as well. I believe my first post was in the introduction section. For me, I pick all the time. Any chance I get. I do it when I'm stressed, I do it when I'm bored, anytime really. I don't suffer from ptsd, and have never been molested. However I do have BP and as I understand it, there's usually something that accompanies BP. I'm thinking about getting gloves and duct taping them to my wrists when I'm at home.

05/11/2010 11:54 AM
greatestescapist
greatestescapist  

I am dealing with CSP as well. And like, screaminwife, I also have bipolar. But along with that i have depression, and anxiety and panic stuff going on. :/. Um-I pick at the skin on my face, and if I'm not doing that I absolutely HAVE to do something with my hands. Usually skin picking is something that I don't know I'm doing. My sister yells at me when I do it, because she noticed that I've been doing it for years (she didn't know I was doing it either until recently, she realized). I'm surprised and happy to know this is actually a forum. It's a problem, and has started to transcribe in to other things (like scratching until I bleed, but that's another story). Smile.

05/11/2010 04:49 PM
mem8850

there is also a disease called trichotillomania....it's pulling out hairs....some do it till they only have eyelashes....iv'e seen a few forums about it....it's actually more common than you would expect.

05/11/2010 07:35 PM
mem5940

Hi greatestescapist, It's great to have you in the grou. I'm not really sure what CSP is. Maybe you could tell me more about that. I am familiar with the dermatillomania, and having to keep your hands busy at all times. I know this is rough, especially with bi-polar, depression and panic. I'm sure it does help to atleast have a name for some of these things, and realizing they are real disorders. Are you currently taking any medications? I really appreciate you posting, and I look forward to hearing more from you. Pleae feel free to post here or private message me anytime.

Peace

Robbie

05/11/2010 08:59 PM
babies1
babies1  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

My husband is a constant picker and it drives me crazy! He never stops. We have been married for 30yrs. and it didn't really get bad until about 10yrs. ago. I challenged him once to try not to pick for 5min. and he still couldn't do it. He picks at his arms, forehead, he scratches any little bump until it bleeds. He has done it for so long he doesn't even realize he does it. It is especially embarassing when he picks at something until it bleeds when we are in the company of friends!

It is his problem and he won't take any medication for it because he says it doesn't bother him. It's making me crazier than I already am. I think his is due to anxiety or boredom, idk.

05/12/2010 09:13 AM
greatestescapist
greatestescapist  

@Robbie12345 So, I had trichotillomania when I was younger. I cut my hair millions of times, and pulled it out so much I had to see a hairdresser almost every month. I got over it eventually. But I think it just transpired to CSP.

@Robbie CSP is compulsive skin picking, and it's an impulse control disorder. The need to pick is much stronger than doing anything else. For some people, they pick because they feel imperfections. For others, like me, they pick because they are bored and don't realize they are even doing it. I recently started to not only pick at my skin, but scratch as well. My mother was surprised to find me in my bed with blood staining the sheets from my scratching at my skin. It's starting to heal now, but it's incredibly embarrassing going out in public with your arm covered in gauze. People think you were trying to kill yourself, but really, I just couldn't help it! Smile. Anyhow, I hope that helps. I am not taking medication for it. But I am taking lamictal for bipolar. But that's it.

05/12/2010 12:29 PM
mem5940

Oh ok, I know what dermatillomania is, I had just never heard it refferred to as CSP before. I suppose that is one of those terms that slipped by me, lol. Thank you for clarifying. There are actually a few people in this group that suffer with this. I also sufferred from trichotillomania as a kid, and many times this is usually a really good first sign of ocd later on. I know that many times you don't even realize you are doing these things. I suppose it is sort of like nail biting. In each of these cases you'right that we seem to always have to have our hands busy, and it usually takes a real conscious effort to break this befavior. I honestly don't know if any medications will help with these particuliar disorders. It seems it would be more treatable through CBT. Atleast you have found a place where you are understood now, and you can prove to the doubters that these are real disorders, because I know people can be quite harsh with their remarks that don't understand this. This also give you a place to vent, and express your feelings, and often times that brings a good bit of relief too. If any of us can help you in any way, please let us know, and do know you have our understanding and support. Hang in there.

Peace

Robbie

10/15/2011 02:23 PM
Trulyhiz
Trulyhiz  

Hi, I also pick at my skin around my fingers sometimes till they bleed, but only on my thumbs. I also bite my nails since I was a child and suck my thumb. I bite my lip and side of my cheek occassionaly. Usually when im upset or bored about something. To me it beats drinking and smoking . I have anxiety, SAD, PSTD, Depression and was sexual molested when I was a child.

Its alittle embarrasing to say the least.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved