MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/15/2009 05:25 PM

Pregnant with NDPH

clf2007

Hi my name is Christa! I am so glad I finally found other people that can relate to these frustrating headaches.

I have been suffering with these headaches for the past 14 months. I have been receiving treatment at the Diamond Headache Clinc (which I highy recomend) in Chicago Il. I am feeling half way better than I was when I first got them. I have been taking 100mg of amitryptinline (sp) and muscle relaxers when I need them.

Right now I am afraid I might be pregnant and that means I will have to go off of my medicine. Does anyone know of any other alternative medications or therapies that might be safe durning pregnancy?

Thanks. Glad to be able to finally talk to those who can relate.

02/15/2009 06:04 PM
drmeows
drmeows  

Christa, Welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you found us too. I would recommend asking your dr at the Diamond Headache Clinic about what do to if you're pregnant. I'm sure they've dealt with it before. You can always try relaxing techniques, like biofeedback and massage if you aren't allowed to take any medications.

02/16/2009 10:37 AM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

Hi Christa, Welcome to the forum! I have no idea which (if any) of the medications would be safe during pregnancy. I know some of them definitely aren't, but I would call the doctor immediately to find out what to do.

If meds end up being out, I would add trying accupuncture to the list of things to try. I haven't done it myself, but several people have found that it gives significant, though usually temporary, pain relief (which for most of us is all meds do either). There are probably more, but my brain is not very connected today. I am sure a clinic as big as Diamond has had to face this many times before so they should also have ideas.

Again welcome to the group.

02/16/2009 02:27 PM
Srishti1775
Srishti1775  

Hi Christa,

I also found cure for my headache at Diamond Headache Clinic. They usually give their patients a combination of anti-epilepsy and anti-depressant. They are not considered good for fetus, it is better to come off these meds if you think you are pregnant. I was able to get rid of anti-epilepsy meds but I still need Elavil for my headache and hence we gave up on the idea of pregnancy. My current neuro has put me on 400 mgs of Magnesium and B2 as well and I think it is helping.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved