MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/17/2008 07:48 PM

Hi! I'm new!

Torabelle89
Torabelle89  

[b] Hi all! My name is Tory and I'm new to this group. My mom reccomended this site a while ago and I'm now just getting around to it. I'd like to know what goes on in this group.

Here's a little bit about myself:

I'm 19.

I'm a writer.

I LOVE to read!

I LOVE 70's & 80's music!

I've had NDPH for 3 years, but had mild symptoms since I was little.

I have a fire bellied toad (Forsyth), 3 southern gray tree frogs (Doyle, Jasper & Aaralyn), a bunny (Booger), and a dog (Susie Q).

I am Editor-in-chief for my college Literary Journal.

If you'd like to know anything else, I'd love questions!

Take care,

Tory

11/17/2008 08:17 PM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

Hi Tory, Welcome to the forum. I had to look up fire bellied toads since I don't think I had ever seen one before. The pictures I found on the internet were quite striking.

I used to read a lot too, though lately (ok, since the headache) I don't read nearly as much. I still enjoy it, but it is much harder to focus and follow a plot.

Do you have any idea what might have changed to make your symptoms go from mild to full blown NDPH?

Feel free to explore and look at everything. I hope you enjoy the group.

11/17/2008 08:23 PM
drmeows
drmeows  

Hi Tory,

Welcome! Hopefully you will find some friends and information on our forum.

When you were a child did you have frequent headaches or were they constant but mild pain level?

I'm glad you are still able to do what you love, which must be reading and writing and editing. Probably helps you deal.

Once again, we're glad you joined the group!

11/17/2008 08:38 PM
Torabelle89
Torabelle89  

Hi Mary,

Thanks! I'm glad I joined. Firebellies are really cute. I'll have to wait till mating season to find out the sex of my firebelly, but for now it's a boy.

Well, I was working at a store called Hot Topic in our local mall 3 years ago. That summer was really hot and the air conditioning in our store broke and they couldn't seem to fix it. And they play really loud music. One night, while cleaning up the store, I fell on the floor with a mind numbing headache. I couldn't think, I could hardly focus on my surroundings. The pain was all over my head, like my brain didn't have enough room. I immediately called my parents and they rushed me over to the Nighttime Pediatrics. The doctor ran some quick tests and said I had a sinus infection. I took the medication but nothing changed. The headaches got worse. My grades dropped. I went to a neurologist and had several tests done. He said I had Chronic Daily Headache, or, New Daily Persistent Headache. So he precribed me Elavil.

I've had to up the dose once, but that pushed me into serious anger issues that my mom thought was the beginnings of Bipolar disorder since it's in the family and certain medications can push you into mania. I'm trying light exercise, some headache meds other than my elavil. Extra sleep use to help, but now it doesn't. I drink more water than they suggest you drink a day, so that's not it.

I'm mostly tired of people yelling at me about my condition. They think I use it as an excuse, but I don't. My own mom has yelled at me many times, and so has others. They make me feel like it's my fault I have this. Which, I guess, to some extent it could be, but not intentionally.

Have you had that problem?

-Tory

11/17/2008 08:42 PM
Torabelle89
Torabelle89  

Hi drmeows!

I like your name Smile

As a child I had headaches every now and then. Maybe once a week to once a month. I might have developed CDH from taking too many pain pills like Tylenol and Advil-I think it was MayoClinic where I read that about pain pills. It's a possibility. I'd discuss it with my doctor but he's not much help.

Yeah, writing and reading helps me deal a lot. I wish more people would read. Not for hours like I do, but just a little. It might help.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Tory

11/18/2008 10:27 AM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

Hi again Tory, I don't get yelled at for having my headache. I am sure some people think I use it as an excuse, but they aren't in my immediate family and, being an adult already, they are less likely to tell me what the think. I have gotten some blame from extended family though it is hard to tell if it was intended as blame, or if it was meant as sympathy for the burden I am to my parents. Either way it wasn't fun.

I did get blamed some (or I felt blamed anyway) for my first unexplained headache which hit freshman year of college, but that was by my neuro (at the time, who I never went back to). He thought it was a rebound headache, but implied that if I hadn't been lying about what I was taking from my primary doc then it must be all the drugs I was doing at college (I didn't take anything except exactly what I told him I took, which my primary doc gave me). Maybe there was rebound headache there, but he should have told me what that was (he never used the term) and how long it should take to see some improvement. He was not nice.

I think I get yelled at less partly because I was 10 years older than you when my NDPH hit and I was already through with all my schooling and had a job so my parents weren't worried about getting me set up for the future anymore. They were all finished raising me before the headache hit so the normal teen/parent conflicts didn't play into my headache at all. I think other teens probably have a more similar experience to yours.

I sometimes wonder if I am using my headache as an excuse, which tends to be the times that I overdo and end up hurting a lot worse, but I remind myself that "no not an excuse, this thing is definitely real and I shouldn't do that".

Post edited by: MaryR, at: 11/18/2008 20:11

11/18/2008 02:05 PM
Moony88
Moony88  

Hey Tory;

I love to read and write too, it just sucks when you real want to finish a book but can't coz ur having a bad day. Sad

11/18/2008 05:47 PM
Torabelle89
Torabelle89  

Yeah, I'm having that problem lately. I finished one book after 3 years and now the sequel isn't taking off. I started another novel and it's doing great. When I don't have a headache.

What do you like to read and write? Mostly, I love supernatural and paranormal reads. I write with every genre letting it all flow together. I do better when I have a support system for my writing, I get things done faster. What about you?

11/18/2008 05:49 PM
Torabelle89
Torabelle89  

Yeah, I figured getting yelled at and thinking my headaches are an excuse was because of my age. It's gotten better. I don't talk about it as much. If I have a headache I keep it to myself. Not so great for me, but it's working. I'm trying to pour out my experience with headaches into a poem or a prose piece. Maybe it'll help. :Dizzyhrugs::

11/18/2008 06:42 PM
Lisasmom
LisasmomPosts: 508

Hey Tory, welcome to our group. We can already tell that you are going to be a fun memberSmile I am sorry that you are having such a rough time dealing with your headache. Stress is one thing that would make Lisa, my seventeen year old daughter's headache worse. And dealing with people and their expectations for her was stressful. This year, now that she's back at school with her scars still visible from her surgery, she feels that teachers and the kids at school are more understanding, because it is something that they can see with their eyes instead of the mysterious headache that just didn't seem to sink in with people.

Please don't feel like your headache is your fault. Just do your best to cope and try not to let people get to you (easier said than done!)

I think it's really cool that you are able to go to college and be the editor of your literary journal, too.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved