MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/10/2009 02:10 PM

14 yr old daughter just diagnosed

drice1976

As the subject line reads, my daughter was just diagnosed. I had no idea until searching the web how difficult this can be to deal with. She's supposed to go into the hospital sometime this month for four days and get DHE by IV.

12/10/2009 04:35 PM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

Hi and welcome to the group. It can be really hard to deal with, but it varies a lot in severity between people, both in severity of pain levels and in responses to treatment. Just because some of the people here have really scary stories doesn't mean it will be that bad for your daughter, there are also people who respond to treatments and get better (though most of them don't hang out here a whole lot).

Feel free to ask any questions you have, there are tons of friendly people here and also a number of other parents of teens and some other teens as well who can all relate to what you are dealing with. Again, Welcome to the group.

12/10/2009 09:06 PM
tortoisegirl
tortoisegirlPosts: 3237
Group Leader

Welcome to the group! When you get a chance we would love to hear more about your daughter's condition, how long she has had the headache, what she has tried, etc. Hang in there and I hope she finds relief soon. Let us know what we can do to help and best wishes.

12/10/2009 11:30 PM
Enbee
EnbeePosts: 1556

Hi there! Welcome to the group.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter Sad Try not to get too worried, there are lots of things the doctors can try for her and there is a very good chance that her headache will either go away or at least improve. There are quite a few parents of teenagers on this forum, and a few young people too, so you will have plenty of people who can relate.

I hope the DHE works for your daughter. It's great that she has got a diagnosis and they are starting treatment.

Hope to hear more from you soon.

N.

12/11/2009 02:01 PM
drice1976

She was diagnosed last week, and has had the headaches for two months. The highest level pain she's had was an 8 last week which prompted all of this. We didn't even know she was even having them until last Tuesday. We've had a CT scan, MRI, and a visit with the neuro already. I was optimistic until I saw the posts on here. Now I'm concerned. She goes in the hospital the 28th to get the DHE. My understanding is the soonest we can try to break the headache after they first start is the best.

12/11/2009 09:48 PM
tortoisegirl
tortoisegirlPosts: 3237
Group Leader

Yes, there is more hope to break it in the beginning (up to the 6-12 month mark) than after the years go on. Best wishes!

12/12/2009 06:56 AM
wshield

Why are they waiting till the 28th?

12/12/2009 08:18 AM
dcguy

Is it only DHE that will be tried? My daughter is 13 years old and the DHE did not work for her. Reglan and Benedryl worked for her room mate and helped her temporarily. She did 5 rounds of DHE and the doctor said it was not working so we quit. Make sure your neurologist is going to do more than just DHE. You can try DHE thru a nasal spray called migranal.

12/12/2009 08:55 AM
Bobbin
BobbinPosts: 9

I'm 15 and I went through the DHE treatment in May of this year. In 10 months, the DHE hospitalization was the scariest part of my treatment, but my advice for Drice is to have some handy distractions. The bad part about it was that hospitalization actually made me bored enough to wish for more math hw. Movies, books, or visits from friends would have been a life saver. Best of luck to both of you!

12/12/2009 11:44 PM
Enbee
EnbeePosts: 1556

While you can get DHE in a nasal spray, the IV form is meant to be more effective for breaking headaches (higher doses and more effective administration). If the DHE doesn't work there are plenty of other infustions they can try. Sometimes they do them in the same admission, but sometimes not. Your doctors will probably work through a list of things to try and hopefully one of them will work. Make sure you post here if you have any questions!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved