MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/15/2008 11:33 AM

light sensitivity!

newmommy3
newmommy3Posts: 255

How the heck do i deal with this??? honestly, i wear my sunglasses EVERYWHERE I go. wether it is at the grocery store, even on the computer sometimes. am i the only one???

05/15/2008 12:21 PM
jrz30
jrz30  

Hey...I didn't have photophobia when my headache started but now I seem a bit more sensitive to light but it doesn't affect my head pain. I have been phonophobic since the start which is really a bad thing cause it is really hard to go to school cause of the noise. I don't know how to deal with either of these symptoms because earplugs won't work and you cant wear sunglasses everywhere (at least comfortably) especially in Canada during the winter!!!

05/15/2008 03:59 PM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

Newmommy3, You are NOT alone. I can sympathize with both of you as I sit here and type with my sunglasses and hat on. The overhead light isn't even on in this room either. Laughing Unlike Jrz, light does effect my headache, if I go without the glasses or if I get into bright light the headache gets worse. I actually now own a pair of welding goggles to wear in the car (no, I don't drive). I still refuse to wear them in public because I have SOME amount of dignity left.

The sunglasses and hat are part of my everyday attire now, I get some strange looks for them, but if people look at me too weird I just say I have a chronic headache. This leads to all their headahce stories, but they don't look at me weird anymore. I found the hat helps block all the light leaks that the sunglasses miss, but it also makes me look that much stranger.

I do have the benefit that I am at least somewhere a lot farther south than you are Jrz, but people still think it is weird to wear sunglasses in the winter here too, but maybe not quite as strange as in Canada. Tongue

05/15/2008 05:00 PM
jacee67
jacee67  

I drive with my visor down all the time. if its overcast and not bright out I still have to use it. I do not use sunglasses alot cuz the bug the crap out of me when I have a headache. I can not stand anything toucching my head or face. (except a cold clothe)

I understand you trust me. I think most of us will. Sound is my biggest pain in the butt. I have wicked sensativity towards sound, I have a fan on in my bedroom 24/7 if I have a bad I lay on my bed in the dark with a cold clothe on my head facing into the fan. that moise soothes me. anything else kills me

05/15/2008 05:02 PM
newmommy3

thanks it is so wonderful to know i am NOT alone. I wonder what i can do for a job? i can not work in a well lit area? I want to do something to help my family out any ideas??? lol

05/15/2008 05:04 PM
jacee67
jacee67  

in my old position I worked in an office alone by myself. It had floresent lights in it. I took out most of the tubes so it wasnt bright. My boss hated it but he was cool with it.

it is hard to get by, every where we go there are bright lights

05/15/2008 08:56 PM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

I think a lot depends on what sort of skills you have. Depending on where you live your state may have a "department of rehabilition services" that may be able to help you figure what your skills are and if there are reasonable accomadations that would enable you to work again and in what sort of job even with the headache. They are able to help a lot of people with disabilities, though they can't help everyone.

Even if they tell you you have no work potential it doesn't always mean you can't bring in a some money...it just means you have to be more creative to do it. I make jewelry that my family helps me sell. I don't make a lot of money, but it is more than I would make if I didn't do anything.

They will also want your doctor to clear you to work if you go through them. I didn't think that would be a problem, but apparently my doc didn't think I could work either. I was not really surprised since I couldn't come up with any "normal" jobs that I could do either, but it was helpful to try simce it got me thinking about what sort of skills I had that I hadn't been using instead of just what things have I been doing the last several years of my life.

Anyway they might help accomadate jobs similar to what you have had before such as if you worked in an office allowing you to turn off the overhead light and plug in a shaded (very shaded) lamp or two. You could change the brightness and or contrast on your computer monitor to make it less harsh and turn the default setting to blue background with white type on you word processing programs (yes, they can do that...my roommate in college always had it that way). Stuff like that can be a huge help.

I don't know if you would be able to do a "normal" job or if you would end up being too much like me, but either way it was free to do.

05/16/2008 06:13 AM
newmommy3

thanks a lot! i worked customer service at a theme park before this i dont really want to go back to that because it was more of a job to get me through college. Well, forget college now- i have a son and i cant even read without making the font bigger these days! i was going to school for massage therapy. thats a great idea, i think i do have a department like that around town. i was also thinking maybe i could be a cleaning lady or something? thanks for the help!

05/16/2008 02:02 PM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

Once they start working with you they will figure out what all services you need. You may even get help with resume writing or job placement depending on what you are capable of and what you need. I didn't make it that far along in the process so I don't know all the details of how it works.

06/15/2009 12:24 AM
MelanieArr

I have had light sensitivty 24/7 since this started (1 year ago). I also wear a hat and sunglasses everywhere, all the time! If I don't, my pain is much much much worse. I'm over people's reaction. Thank GOD I'm a massage therapist and work in a drkened room. Can you believe it? That is fortunate. It's the only time I take off my hat AND sunglasses, although I take off my glasses at home & keep the lightrs low. I have no sound sensitivity whatsoever, but I'm also extremely sensitive to things moving that my eye hs to follow. If someone is rocking in a rocking chair in fornt of me, my head instantly hurts more. If I'm driving and see blinking lights, I have to hold my hand in front of where the lights are so my head doesn't kill me. If this continues long-term I'm cosidering getting contact lenses )I wear contacts anyway) that block out some light.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved