MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/18/2008 11:59 AM

Greater Occipital Nerve Injection

miffy

Hi everyone

I had a Greater Occipital Nerve injection last friday my first and apart from leaving me bruised (which has now gone) it has not helped with the pain at all. I had it on the left side only at the back of my head.

My headache doc says it can take up to 2 weeks before any effect is felt. If there is no reduction in pain or frequency in pain after this time period, then another injection in more than one head location is tried.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had this and if they had any joy with it either immediately or some days after?

02/23/2008 02:39 AM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

I haven't had that done so I don't know. I think that might be the same thing that goonybgood had done a few weeks before she started the "I've been feeling remarkably good" thread in the general and support section. I don't really know enough about injections to know if it the same thing or not since I haven't had any. Hers took a while to work if I remember right. At first she thought they just hurt from the injections, but eventually they did help. You may be able to tell from reading the thread if it is the same thing as yours or not. Hope that helps.

02/23/2008 03:05 PM
Sahara17
Sahara18  

Hi Miffy, my daughter has been getting occipital nerve blocks for two years. She started out with Lidocaine/Solu-Medrol every 10-12 weeks. They only last about 6wks for her, but because of her age, her neuro said he can only give her the steriod that often. I asked him if he would give her Lidocaine only injections between the steroid ones- he said yes (they last about 2 wks). Now that she is almost 18 (in 4 wks) he can give her the steroids every 8 wks. That will relieve her of and extra set of injections! The first one took about 2 days to start working. Her scalp was sore...she wouldn't, and still doesn't, brush her hair for a day or two after. (She keeps it in a ponytail.) They seem to work pretty much immediately now. She gets 4 injections, it was just two - one on each side, but she asked for two extras near the crown of her head where the nerve ends. Her neuro withdraws the needle a little and reinserts it twice at each injection site to spread the meds around some. She said this is so much better than the migraines. She still gets the migraines in the front, but says they are not as debilitating. I would definitely give it another try on each side. I hope this info helps. Smile

02/23/2008 03:21 PM
Thyqua
Thyqua  

Hi Miffy,

I had occipital nerve injections on both sides at the back/top of my neck a couple of months ago. Sadly they didn't work for me, just made me feel rather terrible for a week and then that area has hurt at times since.

Don't let me get anyones hopes down tho, I've heard this has worked wonders for some people. I was also told it would take a week or so to work so hold tight and I'm really hoping if it'll start working for you soon.

thyqua xx

07/26/2011 04:28 AM
coachchalfin

I went to a very caring neurologist and she wrote down a couple of names of the thing I have but I decided that it is occipital neurologia. I had tried everything. Currently I had two rounds of the nerve block on my left side. It worked for about 2 weeks. The second round didn't work. I think the doctor missed the vein. Please give me some advice if you can. I only get it on the left side of my occipital nerve. IT happens everyday! I wake up with it often in the morning. I feel I tried everything- 1/2 of an advil masks the pain for several hours. I take on every morning and one at about 5 PM at night. So I am taking only 200 mg of Advil a day. The headaches often engulf my though process and it is annoying. I am also taking 300 mg of Gabapentin every morning this is a anti-seizure drug that apparently treats chronic pain better than seizures (I never had a seizure). I live in NY and am going to Montefiore Headache clinic in the Bronx in September (don't take my insurance- Smilehttp://www.montefiore.org/services/headache_center/

07/26/2011 11:43 PM
cmiller
cmiller  
I'm an Advocate

I had only a ten day 50% relief when I had it done and the pain was so intense I decided not to have more. I believe they can easily miss the right spot with these injections also.

Hey Coach, I just wanted to let you know that the anti seizure drug gabapentin is an epileptic drug however it works by calming the nerves to stop seizures and because occipital neuralgia pain is mostly nerve pain it also can calm the nerves. I was on 2400 mg per day at one stage because I was having up to 300 electric shock type painful spasms a day. This is where gabapentin really works as it knocked down those painful spasms to about 30 per day but much less painful. I hope this helps.

07/27/2011 07:45 PM
tortoisegirl
tortoisegirlPosts: 3239
Group Leader

Any chance you got into a rebound cycle with the Advil? Thought I'd mention it. Taking any amount more than 2-3 days a week could put you at risk, and you'd need to go off of it for a few weeks to break the cycle if so. Something to read up on and ask your doctor about as it can exacerbate your pain situation. Hope you get some relief soon. That you got such relief the first time is a good sign. I'd consult your doctor again and see where to go from here. Results can vary. Ideally, you want to keep getting the injections at greater intervals to try to get pain free or reduced pain. Yes, the nerve pain preventative meds are a good thing to try--Lyrica is another one in the same class. Best wishes.

11/02/2012 12:10 PM
fusion

I have had two of these injections ....and the only relief I felt really was from the local for 2 to 3 hours...

11/02/2012 08:37 PM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

Hi and welcome fusion, Sorry to hear that the injections were not helpful in your case. I have heard of that happening sometimes, where the initial numbing stuff works, but then the injection really doesn't do anything. Frustrating. Has anything else helped you at all?

11/02/2012 08:56 PM
tortoisegirl
tortoisegirlPosts: 3239
Group Leader

Fusion: Welcome! Thank you for sharing. Actually, sometimes the fact that you responded at all, even if only to the anesthetic portion (not the steroid which is typically added) can be helpful for your doctor in formulating treatment ideas, even if getting subsequent blocks is not likely to be helpful. For all three types of nerve blocks I had, I didn't even feel any relief from the anesthetic ....they actually caused me more pain (needle trauma).

I have had a few meds help though, as well as some lifestyle changes. Definitely frustrating. Feel free to start an intro thread (click "start a discussion" at the top of the page) and share as little or as much about your journey as you feel comfortable. It can take a lot of trial & error, but most of us do find something that gives us some relief. Best wishes.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved