MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
03/04/2012 06:31 PM

I think I miss the singing the most

LisaLkCty619
LisaLkCty619  

My daughter has a beautiful voice. As long as I can remember, she has woken up singing and gone to bed singing. I could tell when she was up for the day or in the shower by the sound of her voice. It became the backdrop of our mornings, our evenings, our car rides. Before NDPH.

Now? The days I hear her singing are the good days. Today is a good day. I've heard her sing more today than in the last six months altogether. It's been soft and sweet, instead of loud and powerful. But today she found her voice again. And I am thankful for the music. Thankful for this little piece of her that I was beginning to think we would never see again. Another piece of her spirit that this condition, this pain has stolen from her.

It may not last, but I will take it. And hope that it will carry her, and me, through the days where even listening to music makes her retire to her bed.

I'm beginning to hate NDPH. Trying to stay positive. Trying to find the silver lining in this cloud that has descended upon us. Trying to believe that this is not a beginning without an end. But I do so miss the singing.

03/04/2012 07:01 PM
tortoisegirl
tortoisegirlPosts: 3250
Group Leader

Thank you for sharing with us. This story is very illustrative of a lot of our lives. Hubby can tell if I'm having a good pain day as I'm really talkative and have brightness in my eyes. Best wishes.

03/05/2012 08:17 AM
kymark
kymarkPosts: 106

Thanks for this. It reminds me of why I'm glad I have these headaches instead of my kids having them. As miserable as it is to be in pain, I find it much worse to see the ones I love in pain and be unable to fix it. You who are parents of patients have my sympathies!

03/05/2012 10:54 AM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

I miss music too. I used to sing some, and I come from a family with amateur opera singers in it. I wish I could enjoy their preformances, but I stay away and they can't even practice around me usually (I shush them...they are very loud though). I will sometimes save extra medicine so I can participate in the family tradition of Christmas carolling, but it is a lot harder than it used to be. I don't listen to music for fun anymore...but anytime I get a really good headache day I often do let my sisters put something on and I enjoy it SO much.

03/07/2012 04:16 PM
Psalm55
Psalm55  

I'm fortunate that I don't have too much auditory sensitivity and can still enjoy 'gentle' music even on bad pain days (I have a Headache playlist). And I'm glad that I had already transitioned in my career from a music therapist to my current work with a non-profit before the headache b/c I feel like it would've been a huge blow (more than it was/is) then in many more ways, including feeling the loss of not enjoying and participating in music like I once could.

I'm glad your daughter had a singing day. Smile And I hope there will be more soon!

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved