MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/02/2012 05:22 PM

GABA vs. Gabapentin

StephanieNDPH
StephanieNDPH  

I'm currently working with a naturopath and am in the process of transitioning from 1800mg per day of Gabapentin to the supplement GABA. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this and if so what dosage of GABA are they on? are you getting the same results as with the Gabapentin? How long did you take you to transition?

01/03/2012 09:30 AM
tortoisegirl
tortoisegirlPosts: 3244
Group Leader

Sorry I'm not familiar with this (besides what I just looked up out of curiosity). What is the purpose of this, besides being more natural? Was the Gabapentin/Neurontin helpful? Personally I'm more against supplements due to the lesser amount of testing/regulation than medications, especially the unknown factor of interactions with other supplements and medications, but I know of many who have got more results working with a naturopath than a neurologist. This looks interesting: http://www.globalrph.com/pregabalin.htm Best wishes.

01/04/2012 01:52 AM
Enbee
EnbeePosts: 1556

I only tried gabapentin, and it wasn't successful for me at all so no experience to offer you. What is the reason for you swapping to GABA?

01/04/2012 05:16 PM
StephanieNDPH
StephanieNDPH  

I'm seeing a naturopath because I seem to exhausted most of the conventional treatments. At this point I'm still on a lot of meds and I'm trying to switch to natural alternatives to give my system a break and see what happens. It can't be any worse than all of the horrible side effects I've experienced in the last 3 1/2 years.

01/04/2012 08:24 PM
tortoisegirl
tortoisegirlPosts: 3244
Group Leader

That would be awesome if you could sustain where you are with natural alternatives. What percent relief would you call it? I assume you're keeping logs through this. Looking forward to your reports back! Best wishes.

01/05/2012 04:26 PM
Enbee
EnbeePosts: 1556

That sounds like a good approach. I know at one point I considered having a med break as I was sick of all the side effects but on my last attempt I found a med that worked. I'm having a med break at the moment though due to pregnancy/breastfeeding and it is nice not having to deal with heaps of side effects. It will be interesting to see if the GABA has any benefit for you. Keep us updated.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved