MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
12/06/2008 10:55 PM

Nausea

Sammyjane

I am new to the group and wondered if anyone had any good remedies or recomendations for medicines to combate nausea. Thanks for the help! Sick

12/06/2008 11:15 PM
MaryR
MaryR  
Group Leader

Hi Sammyjane, Welcome to the forum. Phenergan (prescription) and Dramamine (non-prescription) both came to mind. If you are having a lot of trouble I would definitely talk to your doctor. Sometimes it is the headache making you nauseous, but depending on what you might be taking to treat your headache that can cause nausea too (I had that problem with Cymbalta). For non-medication things I have heard that anything containing ginger is good. I like ginger snaps lots better than teas. I hope that helps.

Post edited by: MaryR, at: 12/06/2008 23:15

12/07/2008 01:03 AM
Sammyjane

Thanks Mary, Smile

12/07/2008 12:46 PM
jrz30
jrz30  

I would suggest Zofran, which is a script. Here is some info:

http://www.medbroadcast.com/drug_info_details.asp? brand_name_id=572

12/07/2008 04:35 PM
drmeows
drmeows  

Sammyjane,

Welcome to the forum! Between Ryan and I, we've taken several drugs for nausea, they are all prescription. I've taken Zofran and compazine and the Zofran worked fairly well, compazine was just ok. Ryan's taken Reglan was through IV and the Zofran was the under the tongue tab. Nothing over the counter has worked well for us.

I hope you find something that works well for you. Personally I like the under the tongue tab because when you are so nauseous, it's hard to make yourself swallow ANYTHING!

Keep us posted!

12/07/2008 05:58 PM
ACsmom
ACsmomPosts: 400

Hi and welcome. My daughter takes 1 mg. Kytril for nausea. It is a prescription medication and works better than Zofran for her. If it is very, very mild nausea then an over the counter Zantag actually works. However, for the moderate and up nausea prescription Kytril is the ticket for her.

12/08/2008 04:42 AM
maddogenglishman
maddogenglishmanPosts: 38

I take 5mg of Prochlorperazine for my nausea which is a prescription drug. I've found it very effective.

12/08/2008 06:42 PM
Debbie55

Hi Sammyjane,

My son has has a lot of nausea.

We've tried many prescriptions including Reglan, Zofran, Phenergan, Zofran and Phenergan together, hydroxyzine, dramamine, Antivert, ginger, and compazine. Taking 50mg of hydroxyzine usually helps but it knocks him out for a couple of hours so I'm trying to find a better alternative.

Sometimes nothing helps and he throws up. I was going to ask his doctor for something else to try on Wednesday.

We've also tried something called a Releif Band which is electronic and stimulates the pressure points on the correct place on his arm. They make the "sea bands" or travel bands to wear on the wrists at the nausea pressure points. He just started using an electronic acupuncture device on the wrist nausea points today. I'll let you know if that works. So far he has not had any more nausea today.

12/10/2008 12:29 PM
Sammyjane

Thanks a bunch!

12/15/2008 03:54 PM
willowdiamond
willowdiamond  

I can't have Phenergan, it gives me horrible akathisia (which is like restless leg syndrome for your entire body), nor Reglan because I don't like how it knocks me out, plus it gives me bad emotional side effects.

I too would recommend Zofran, it's a godsend. It helps without any drowsiness.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved