MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/21/2011 08:44 PM

chronic migraines(page 2)

Enbee
EnbeePosts: 1556

Dr P and Chloe thanks for that info. While I haven't actively been looking into the nerve decompression it is something I may consider if it becomes available. My current neuro has certainly mentioned the options of occipital nerve stimulator so at least that is an option. A few surgeons are implanting the nerve stimulators but I haven't come across anyone doing the nerve decompression. I'll certainly post about it if I find any info Smile

Chloe, luckily we have escaped most of the recent flooding (our house was flooded in a storm in December) but compared to others our damage is minor and fixable. I also have family and friends in Brisbane and they certainly have been having a wet time Sad

01/22/2011 03:13 PM
DrP

Enbee,

Just so you know, nerve stimulators for occipital neuralgia are good examples of symptom management. They do not treat the underlying problem, they just mask the symptoms, and often don't even do that very well. If there is evidence for a focal issue with a specific occipital nerve(s) that cannot be managed medically, surgery is a good potential option because it removes the problem and potentially provides a permanent fix to the issue without the need for a permanent device to be implanted in the body. Moreover, while stimulators do not require a large skin incision, they are still invasive, still often need to be implanted in the operating room and require fluoroscopy hence exposing you to radiation.

DrP

02/11/2011 08:52 AM
bobswifeamy
bobswifeamy  

Dr Ducic, my new Dr has around 80% success with his surgeries, and like Dr P says, they are very careful as to which patients are chosen for surgery. I had always been Dx'd (diagnosed) with intractable migraine, CDH and/or NPDH prior to becoming a patient at Georgetown. I suggest you watch the video of the lecture I attended @ Georgetown just 4 informational purposes. It was this lecture/seminar that has put me on the road to recovery! I wish the same for each of you. Please feel free to PM me, if u'd like.

http://www.georgetownuniversityhospital.org/LectureSeries/? lecture=Surgical_Treatment_Chronic_MigraineHeadaches

02/12/2011 04:46 PM
suki17
suki17  

bobswifeamy: Thankyou for the link to Dr Ducic's lecture, it was very informative. Have you actually had the surgery he outlines? If so, was it nerve decompression or removal? In his lecture he spoke about nerve blocks and botox to test if you are a candidate for surgery. Did you try either of these and if so in what location and how successful was your response?

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 2 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved