MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/06/2009 12:04 AM

B12 Deficient?

sleepygal

I am a 31 year old stay-at-home mother of two and lead a very busy life with friends, family, and the community. I have been fairly sleepy as long as I can remember and it got much worse in my early twenties. It never occured to me that I could have narcolepsy until a friend described another friend who had recently been diagnosed and her symptoms. Wow! Sounded just like my life... I am very active and healthy and don't fall asleep uncontrollably, but get VERY sleepy throughout the day, regardless of how I am sleeping at night. I also sleepwalk frequently, which sort of started my insistence on getting help (I broke my finger in my sleep - ouch!). If I do let myself sit down or rest in the middle of the day, I usually fall asleep. I did two sleep studies, the first of which was just a joke since I didn't fall asleep until 4 in the morning and then my body was just wired for my MSL test. The next one was just the MSL and the nuero. said he would treat me for narcolepsy, due to the results (I fell asleep within 5 min. for 3 out of 4) and when I asked if he was diagnosing me with Narcolepsy, he just said, "I dont think anyone would refute that diagnosis. Hmmm... So the Ritalin and Aderall (sp?) aren't helping and I'm waiting to make changes to my birth control so I can go on the Pro or Nuvigil. In the meantime, I switched primary care physicians to a friend of the family I really trust, who tested my B12. Evidently I'm quite deficient. As I do my research, it seems as if the injections he's prescribing might give me quite an energy boost. Perhaps that's my only problem? Or perhaps that will be enough of a treatment for my narcolepsy, if I indeed have it. I have a problem with the fact that there is no absolute way to diagnose the disorder - no blood test or scan or anything can tell me for sure that this is truly my condition. These are my thoughts 3 or so months into my "diagnosis".

11/06/2009 12:21 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I had a blood test done, something about testing antigens I don't remember but it was for the narcolepsy. Nuvigil Is a newer stronger form of Provigil. Provigil didn't work that well and I would crash from it after so long with a headache. I love Nuvigil! Lasts long with no side effects. Good luck.

11/06/2009 10:11 AM
sleepygal

Thanks for the input. Your experience seems to be the same as my friend, having had headaches and such on the Provigil, but loves the Nuvigil. I really hate the stimulants, since I'm supposed to take it throughout the day as I get tired again. The tired feeling is want I want to avoid. I don't feel real alert while it's acting, but then I feel a really big drop as it wears off. Hopefully I can switch soon...

11/06/2009 10:27 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Due to other disorders I cannot take stimulants like Adderal or Ritalan and such, I like the Nuvigil because like you said it doesnt give me that hard drop when it wears off and it lasts so long. I am very alert whereas when I am off of it my concentration is so horrible and I fall asleep anywhere. I hope it works as well for you. Good Luck, keep us updated. Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved