MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
11/09/2010 02:25 PM

Am I narcoleptic?

iCalypso
iCalypsoPosts: 1

About me- I work full time as a secretary, most of my work is comprised of sitting at a desk, or running around from different employees offices, making copies, etc. I go to the gym twice a week and work out with a personal trainer. I sleep roughly from midnight to 7:30am on weekdays...and 12 or so hours on friday and saturday night. I typically eat well and stay hydrated. I do not smoke and have recently quit drinking.

My symptoms-

Extreme fatigue, no matter how much sleep I get the night before.

Falling asleep at work, while driving, sitting at stop lights in my car.

I typically sleep very lightly at night, and toss and turn quite a bit. When I take a nap after work however, I sleep VERY heavily and do not move at all. I also have very vivid nightmares and wake up with my heart pounding(this never happens in the morning after sleeping, only after naps)I feel like I weigh 300lbs after waking up from a nap with my heart pounding and until my heart stops beating so erraticly I cant move. Its a very terrifying feeling.

I have fallen asleep while having people talk to me. I have even fallen asleep while my boyfriend was kissing me(no joke, and no its not for the reasons you would expect)

I really want to go to the doctor to find out what is causing this...it is becoming a serious problem...I am scared to drive for fear of falling asleep.

No matter how much caffeine I have, I still feel exhausted.

PLEASE help me. If anybody can shed light on this it would be very muchly appreciated!!

Post edited by: iCalypso, at: 11/09/2010 02:37 PM

11/09/2010 06:30 PM
smd
smdPosts: 292

Post edited by: smd, at: 04/07/2013 01:52 PM

11/10/2010 01:55 AM
SomewhereInCalifornia
SomewhereInCalifornia  
I'm an Advocate

If there is another way to get to work......sharing a ride or taking a bus or the subway...I suggest that you start right away. What smd said about getting a referral from your doctor right away is excellent advice. If the only way to get to work is driving then stress that......everyone understands that that is a non-negotiable situation.

And if it does turn out to be narco......well, there are drugs to help you function (i.e. wake up and stay that way) but which wear off by evening so you can still fall asleep.

Good luck.......and yes, stay in touch. It helps to have support.

Take care,

Cali

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved