MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
01/31/2011 05:14 PM

Photophobia (Light Sensitivity) in MG

mem9478

Many MGers find that they become light-sensitive; that bright lights, whether in a store or from the sun, really bother their eyes. I suspect that some of you are experiencing this, and may not realize this is one of the many classic MG symptoms.

If you do experience this, make sure to discuss this with your eye doctor. He or she will want to make certain that MG is the cause. I would highly recommend a neuro-ophthalmologist, if you can find one, particularly if you have double vision/blurring, etc. If you can't find one, then an ophthalmologist is the next-best on the list. I want a physician caring for my eyes!

If the cause is MG, then a really good pair of sunglasses from a reputable eyeglass business is in order. They can guide you. If you have a very difficult time with the sun, then you may require the glasses that have the very large blinders on either side, and will fit over your glasses. I'm certain that you've seen these beauties before. I don't know if they've come out with "designer blinders" yet, but maybe we could write ANNE KLEIN...Tongue

01/31/2011 07:30 PM
quilter101
quilter101  

very good mgcanadaLaughing i found that i am sensitive to light. course i started out with double vision. i did see a neuro opthamalogist. while i still had vision insurance i had a pair of prescription glasses made. they are not real pretty but they were expensiveW00t but it was all worth it cause it sure makes a difference when i get outside in the sun. my eyes have changed a lot in the last year my opthamologist told me in november. i'm experiencing some blurred vision especially if i drive after dark.

i really enjoy hearing from you guys.

quilterSmile

02/01/2011 02:20 PM
leahnash
leahnash  

i am VERY sensitive to light. direct sunlight makes me sleepy and, in the past, it has caused me to have migraines. thanks for the tips.

Oh, those of us on prednisone have to be very careful... prednisone can cause cataracts so seeing a (neuro)-opthamologist regularly is probably a good idea.

leah Smile

02/02/2011 05:20 AM
bebes
bebes  

I wear my sunglasses when I drive at night. JK Actually I am no longer a night driver because the lights sent daggers into my brain and then when there were no lights I found I couldn't find the road. Pretty scary. I don't get out much anyway so putting a sundown restriction isn't that hard. For those of you who are more active, this could be a real problem. Stay safe and thanks Canada for the tips.

02/03/2011 02:00 AM
bebes
bebes  

Anybody else have sound sensitivity? Loud noises seem to bypass my ears and go straight to the brain as pain.

02/07/2011 01:44 AM
houndman

I was injured 23 yrs ago by unknown chemical fumes at work, that damaged All systems and my brain. I was never diagnosed with MG, but a lot of the problems sounded similar. About light sensitivity, let me say, I could usually see and was comfortable in dimmer light than most of my family and friends, and after the injury, I became really sensitive to bright lights, and car and traffic lights Keep getting brighter, going to LED's now.

My eyes used to hurt for a few hrs after being attacked by some moron with their high beams on, Along with their drivng/fog lights on, especially in high sitting pickups or SUV's, in a big city, that people often forget to turn on their lights at night, it is so bright. Over the years I became less sensitive to the lights, I seem to think by taking multi vitamins or minerals. I found the supplement Luetin will take the eye pain away in minutes after irritated by the lights.

Early on with the injury, my eyes would fatigue in a few min when reading, and looking into MG, and trying to find things OTC that might help, I read that with MG, if the usual drugs, didn't help eye muscle fatigue, to try Ephedrine. I did, and the fatigue that would be overpowering after reading for 15min, got less each time I took it, to where they don't fatigue at all from reading. The injury did affect my vision, making it blured some, and needing reading glasses, and now for distance when driving, and I think the eye muscles don't function lik they used to. To me it feels like a slight paralysis.

About sound, I am a music lover, and used to build audio equipment, but for 5 yrs, music sounded like noise, I think being too busy, and think my short term memory problems were the cause, not able to follow or listen. I became able to, but used to be able to focus on one instrument in a song, and ignore the others, and that was affected. I think I can do it now, but not as easily, or the sound has to be dominant, where before it could be subtle.

Vince F

02/07/2011 07:59 AM
mem9478

Hello Vince! Thank you for this post. Chemicals can and do unmask MG as well as cause exacerbations. I am so sorry to read about the problems you have had to deal with for so long.

Your post serves as an important message for MGers to be very careful when it comes to using cleaning agents. Everyone should strive to use natural products, and that includes laundry.

02/08/2011 12:26 AM
houndman

Hi, MGC..

I have though that maybe the fumes came from someone, maybe the janitor, mixing bleach & ammonia, in his room across the hall, that may have come in through open dropped ceiling tiles. There was a big copy machine in the small office, whose fumes were a bit annoying. The smell was familiar in a way, or maybe the type of irritation in my lungs.

I came to MDJ looking for other disabled people, because I lost the last of my disabled friends from Prodigy online days, from before the net, 2 mo ago.

Vince F

02/11/2011 09:15 AM
mem9478

I'm very sorry to hear you've lost your friends, Houndman. I'm hopeful you will become part of this family. Oh, I do remember the "prodigy" days very well.

You brought back some very fond memories for me...sigh!

02/16/2011 12:31 AM
Sonni
Sonni  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

I'm so glad to have found you all! I don't have a diagnosis for MG as yet, but my rheumy says it sounds like MG. I still need to see a neurologist.

I have sensitivity to light as well as sound. I thought it was due to Fibromyalgia. Sometimes the pain is so bad it feels like my eyes are about to explode and my ears feel like their gonna bleed. Light and sound have caused me headaches and migraines.

I'm wondering if this is "normal" for MG? I've been reading some of your posts and have learned much from them already. I'm so grateful this group has started because I'm looking forward to getting as much info as I can before I see the neurologist.

Gentle Hugs,

SonniSmile

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved