MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/09/2009 09:32 AM

Effect of diet and weather on MG

Anil

Greetings, my name is Anil. Eight years ago my brother-in-law was diagnosed with MG. He was on medication for first 5 years. Then 3 years ago they removed his Thymus gland. After that his dosage of medicines went down and he started feeling better. Suddenly last month things worsened and now several times a day he cannot even getup from bed on his own. We all are very sad and trying to figure out what was the trigger. My brother-in-law lives in Pune, India and for past one month it has been unusually hot in India (day time highs of 120 F).

My question is, does hot weather makes it worse. Are there any food restrictions that can help him. He also feels very depressed. Would appreciate any advise/word of wisdom.

Kind Regards

Anil

05/09/2009 10:22 AM
cyclone23

I don't have a lot of info for you, but I can tell you that heat does worsen the symptoms of MG.

05/10/2009 02:40 PM
LupieToons
LupieToons  
I'm an Advocate

Hello, Anil...

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's setback.

Post-thymectomy, a person with MG usually feels better, as did I and as did your brother and many others. However, remission is not a guarantee. Moreover, it is possible to have a "relapse" of MG symptoms.

I don't even think research has the one definitive answer on the "Why?" of this issue. However, heat will exacerbate MG symptoms; allergies (does your brother have food allergies?); any other illness or virus or stress-related situations (whether physical or emotional).

The first thing to be done is to contact his neurologist. Your brother may need to have his Mestinon dose adjusted; may require an immunosuppressant therapy to assist the Mestinon by suppressing some of the autoimmune activity in his body; or there may be some other underlying cause.

Depression in ANY person with chronic illness is common, and it would be best for his doctor to assess him. Acetylcholine is one of the five top most neurotransmittors in the brain. When our brains begin to experience a chemical imbalance, a depressive illness is likely to follow and it's best to be assessed and put on proper treatment before it gets worse. Mental health and chronic illness can be a circle: one end melds into the other.

Please have him contact his doctor as soon as possible.

Sending some good karma your way,

Post edited by: LupieToons, at: 05/10/2009 02:41 PM

05/13/2009 02:30 PM
Anil

Thanks a lot Lynne for your kind words and wishes. I really appreciate the great work you are doing on this forum

Regards

Anil

05/16/2009 12:45 AM
Captain
CaptainPosts: 170

From personal experience I can tell up that heat can really affect MG . Last summer I had to hide in the house due to the heat. It doesn't get to hot 34 degrees but still as long as as the sun is out and their is heat then MG fpr me id horrible especially on the face and limbs.

I found that going outside required an ice pack tp the face it allowed me to go out door and travel to dr appointment.

I maybe putting myself in a bad spot when I attend my family reunion in in Lebanon as is so hot there and close to the equator...but I guess I sure will find out soon enough.

Hope all goes well and keep in touch

05/22/2009 08:21 PM
monalisa

For me , its not the heat it is the combination of heat and humidity . I do not feel well when we have the combo here in North Texas. Thank Goodnes it is not the norm . Dampness in the winter does not seem to effect me at all.

05/27/2009 08:28 AM
Anil

Dear Friends,

Thanks a lot for all the information I got so far related to effect of heat/humidity on MG. Here is the latest status on the condition of my brother-in-law(BIL).

Right now summer is ending in India, Monsoon rains are approaching. My BIL thinks that when it starts raining, temperatures will come down and his condition will improve. He is trying to postpone Plasma Exchange treatment (he is scared of blood and needles). 10 days ago he fell down when he got up to go to bathroom, since then his confidence level is rock bottom.

We don't want to push him to get Plasma exchange treatment, we want him to be mentally prepared for that. At present our biggest challenge is to boost his confidence and encourage him to stand up (even if it is for a brief moment). For most part of the day he feels little normal but he is scared to get up. Of course there are times when he can't even lift his tooth brush.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences

Regards

Anil

05/29/2009 12:52 AM
Captain
CaptainPosts: 170

My advise to you on the plasmage excahnge is to go ahead and do it. As his symptoms will only get worse and he may even go into a crisis. Whic believ me from experaince is not a step one needs to take.

Give it a try and if it works at leasse he can enjoy his summer and if it does not work then there are other meds he can try. Let him Know he will most likley only be poked once in the neck vien called a central line and it wili remain there until the treatman has been completed 5 day.Then they will remove it.

but if he has good vains then yes he will get poked 2x per visit.

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved