MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
02/27/2010 11:48 PM

Seeing a neurologist for the first time.

ridey777

Hell, I am new to this forum and have a few questions. I have been having some very bizarre symptoms in which my doctor referred me to a neurologist. I looked up ms and have quits a few symptoms, need help please. My symptoms are blurred vision, jerky eye movements, muscle weakness, stiffness, muscle contractions, twitching muscles, numb, tingling, burning, and itching sensations on my back, itching, clumsiness, abnormal balance, shaking all over, really sensitive when riding in a car like going on a roller coaster but 100 times worse,swallowing problems, urinary urgency and coldness. These symptoms did not appear all at once but are getting worse, please help!!!

02/27/2010 11:58 PM
ridey777

Oh and also severe dizziness and headaches.

02/27/2010 11:59 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Welcome to the group! Its the classic listed symptoms, your dr didnt do MRIs before sending you to a Neuro???

02/28/2010 12:00 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

no tremors or numbness?

02/28/2010 12:16 AM
ridey777

I have severe tremors and numbness. I am so scared. Thank you for answering.

02/28/2010 10:40 AM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

Have you had MRIs yet, normally your dr would order those before sending you off.

02/28/2010 12:54 PM
ridey777

My latest MRI, which I had about 3 months ago showed a white spot on the top of my brain, she said with that and all of my symptoms, I should see a neurologist. Thank you so much for the response. I hope to hear back from you.

02/28/2010 01:11 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

That is not typical of MS, MS lesions are usually in the brain stem, not the top of your brain. MS is extremely difficult to diagnose because the treatment is invasive so they dont just slap the diagnosis on anyone they need to prove it with alot of evidence and testing, people can have white matter in their brain and when I was explained by a Neuro before about lesions anywhere but in typical MS areas they said they could be anything, people that suffer chronic migraines can grow white matter in thier brain as well. You should def see that Neuro and go over your symptoms they will more than likely run some tests and monitor you for more lesion development but without the lesions wouldnt be able to diagnose MS. I saw a top Neuro at one of the best hospitals in my area and she was extremely thorough which was what I wanted, with all my lesions in the right areas it took me over a year for my confirmed diagnosis even though she knew it was MS because they wanted as much evidence as possible before treatment. Thats just to give you an idea on how it works. I pray for you that it is not MS, its extremely debilitating and not something you want. There are many disorders that mimic MS. Best of luck to you, please keep us updated. Stacey Wink

02/28/2010 09:03 PM
elseaeff56

Hi Stacey, You are not correct in saying that plaques arent on the top of the brain, rather in the brain stem.

Multiple Sclerosis (means many sores) can attack the cenbtral nervous system at any time at any point. I have plaques on my cerebellum, which is responsible for my tremors, shaking, and problems with balance. Those on my frontal lobe are deteriorating many cognitive skills, as your frontal lobe is your powernowse. My frontal lobe is covered with plaques, affecting my personallity, memory, emotions, ability to understand what is being said to me....

There is no willy nilly to diagnosing MS. There are specific tests, both phisical and pysological. There are specific testing that must be done. Your test took a year because either your doctor's let it go that long, or perhaps that's how long it took between plaques. The final test of MS is to experience two new plaques within 1-3 months of each other.

Neurologists first study a patient's neurological and psychological exams from those doctors. A neurological pysychilogical exam is done (called a neuro-psyche) which measures your loss of cognitive skills, show affected parts if necessary.

Please remember that you will die WITH MS and not FROM MS. keep that in mind and you'll be able to take the scary parts much easier. The only changes I've had to make is to get a gps on my phone so i Can be found when I take walks.

I just did my interferon so I will die for about a day... There are those in my immediate family that doesn't believe that the Avonex could cause such a bad side effect.

There are several people who I'd like to just give them one or two shots to see how they take to them.

Regards,

Linda

02/28/2010 09:07 PM
MissStacey
MissStacey  
VIP Member
I'm an Advocate

You can have them all over your brain I have some on top of my brain as well but like 5 top Neuros told me unless you have them in your brain stem it is not typical of MS. I do have one there which I guess you could say "qualified" me. MS lesions are located in the brain stem, cervical and thorasic spine. That is what I was told by 5 MS Neurologists, I cant see why they would each make that up. It would be considered a rare case of MS to not have lesions in the brain stem.

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved