MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
05/20/2011 05:29 AM

new to online support group and MM

hal68

hello all my name is heather and my dad who just turned 84 yesterday was diagnosed with mm in feb 2011 after being diagnosed with esrd in november 2010-now they finally admit there MIGHT be a connection. he went to the doctor and my mom showed him a "lump" on his back which the doctor proceeded to blow off and we came to find out in april was a compression fracture when dad was admitted to the hospital becasue he cant metabolize narcostics-he has hallucinations and night terrors which is why this kyphon procedure has come up. apparently it is when they inject bone cement in between the two vertebrae to try and alleviate some of the pain. i am worried for so many reasons but more so because it may only have 30% success because his muscles have atrophied so - does anyone know anything about this?

Post edited by: hal68, at: 06/01/2011 11:23 AM

06/01/2011 11:25 AM
hal68

well its me again and this procedure is really called kyphoplasty and it is where they inject bone cement in between two bones that have collapsed in the back (basically). dad made it through well and it seems to have helped with his pain, but it has been less than 24 hours so we shall wait and see.....

06/10/2011 01:32 AM
renee0120
renee0120  

Hi...I was wondering how the vertebroplasty worked for your dad? I had one in Sept. 2010 and I was so happy with the results. The procedure was painless and the pain from the compression fracture was gone immediately after the procedure. Hope dad is doing well.

Renee0120Smile

Share this discussion with your friends:

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved