MDJunction - People Helping People

Ask a Question
10/30/2010 11:39 AM

what about non-infectious MRSA

sandy617
sandy617  

Hi everybody. I went to the hospital this morning at my doctor's request because I have a new spot on my right thigh. The doctor in the emergency room said that yes it is MRSA but it is not infectious at this point. How is MRSA not infectious?? Did I miss something???? He told me if it gets worse to come back and then he showed me the leisons on his legs that he said were also MRSA. They weren't even covered with bandages. That was a bit scary too. I am very confused to at when I am infected and when I am not. Could somebody help me understand the difference? Thanks

10/30/2010 12:43 PM
bits
bits  
VIP Member

I hope somebody answers this because I am dumbfounded. I was ALWAYS under the assumption MRSA is contagious and should be covered with bandages. And that any contact, such as towels, washclothes, should be separated from all other and washed separtly because of contamination. ???

I have a chronic wound and have been tested numerous times for MRSA. Always negative and is not contagious. But MRSA...is contagious. ????

10/30/2010 02:45 PM
katy1977
katy1977  

As far as I understand it is contagious, but only if there is direct skin to skin contact and the MRSA has a chance to get into an open wound on your skin. So even though his wounds aren't covered he would have to touch them and then touch someone else who would then touch their skin and possibly have the MRSA enter into an open area. I would like to hear what others have to say about this too.

Katy1977

10/31/2010 08:15 AM
cupie55
cupie55  

Smile

Welcome to our board. Glad you have sought us out. My name is cupie55 or Penny and we are soo glad to have you.

I was told by my IFD ( Infectious Desease Doc)

its not only skin to skin, if the bacteria ( MRSA) is on any item, sheets, desk tops, shopping carts, what have you it can be transferred. Many people have gotten it by sharing personal care items.. Razors, toothbrushes

towles right after being hung up by an infected person.

With MRSA there are so many strains its hard to keep them at bay. Most have to take an antibiotic daily. I myself am on Doxycillian. I have had 4 rounds of antibiotics to date.3 of Vancomyicin and one of Cubicin. Plus now the Doxycillin.Since there is no telling if a person has an internal infection a sneeze or cough could spread the bacteria. SO its best to use the wipes most stores provide for you. OR keep your own.

THat is what I was told and others have told me. W

We care and are here in support of anyone that has been diagnosed with MRSA or is a caregiver. PLus the secondary things that may happen are also on this site. Please feel free to browse and see.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hugs and may Blessings.

Penny

10/31/2010 09:05 AM
sandy617
sandy617  

I feel like we have miscommunticated and that I wasn't real clear with my question. I have a spot on my thigh that this doctor says is MRSA. It does not loook like the last outbreak I had. He told that it was not infectious so not to worry aobut it. I am wondering if there is such a thing as a MRSA spot that is not infecitous or contagious. I am very vigilant about keeping the things in my house clean and washing towels, clothes and bedding in hot water and with bleach for ceratin things.

This is the third diagnosed outbreak I have had. I had several staph outbreaks in the last serveral years that were treated like MRSA just not diagnosed as such.

I am feeling frustrated with doctors at this point. It seems I am getting more information here that is consistent than by seeing all the doctors I get sent too. They all seem to have a different idea or twist on excatly how to treat me and my MRSA. I wonder who educates the doctors.

I see my PCP again this week and she is going to refer me to a new ID doc as mine is way less than helpful.

Thanks everybody for your support and input. Smile

10/31/2010 07:02 PM
cupie55
cupie55  

Hello again. Welcome back.

If its MRSA MRSA means Methacillian Resistant Staphlococcus Arius.. which is infectious no matter how you slice it.Wether you have sores or if its internal.Is what I have been told by two of my Doctors. I don't know of a non infectious MRSA fist I have herd of that. Maybe someone else has herd of it. Has anyone?? I would like to hear if there are any difernt types that are not. Hmm got me scratching my head.

Hope to find out and to get the answer soon. I have to go to my IFD in a week. I will ask him again.

Hugs and Blessings.

Cupie55

Penny

10/31/2010 07:44 PM
sandy617
sandy617  

Thanks cupie. I am just so confused at this point I am not sure which end is up some days. I have to call my PCP in the morning and set up a chat with her. I know she hasn't got the answer but I have faith that she will point me in the right direction. There is a great big office full of ID docs in one of the hospitals here in town so she is going to make a referral there for me. I was under the same impression you were about all MRSA being contagious. So I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

It seems like the longer I have MRSA the less information health care professionals agreee on. Go figure. I am just really grateful today that I am alive and as healthy as I am. Smile

11/01/2010 01:31 PM
mitzigirl
mitzigirl  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

Hello Sandy and welcome to our MRSA group where we are like a family here. I have had MRSA over 5 years now in my lungs and many outbreaks on my skin and never have I ever heard of any type of MRSA that was not contagious. I cannot believe some of these doctors. Like him showing you his leg and saying he was not contagious well if it is MRSA he is and if he touched it and touches everything else he leaves it behind and it does live on surfaces for a longtime. No wonder there is so much of it around now. I also have felt like the longer I have it the more they do not want to treat me or answer my questions. When I am admitted to the hospital I am suppose to be quartined but they don't half the time they hang a sign on the door saying to mask and gown which the other people on the other side don't get. I have had to tell a patients daughter I had MRSA so they would move her mother who just came out of surgery from a hip replacement. She surely did not need to be in the room with me.

I am glad you will be changing doctors I think that is an excellent ideal. Keep us posted how things are going we do care. Many blessings to you!

11/01/2010 04:24 PM
sandy617
sandy617  

Thanks Mitzigirl. I have an appointment set up for almost an hour with my PCP for next Monday. My sponsor is going with me. I am done trying to go to the doctor by myself. It is just a miserable experience to try to get them to hear me. I don't have a S.O. so I take friends and family with me. That makes it a bit less scary too. I am grateful that this forum is here for me. I feel less alone and more understood as my friends don't really get it yet.

11/05/2010 04:10 PM
mitzigirl
mitzigirl  
Group Leader
I'm an Advocate

You are welcome Sandy and please let us know what they said. We really do care and want to know what the doctor has to say. Many blessings to you!

Share this discussion with your friends:
<< Start < Prev 1 Next > End >>

Disclaimer: The information provided in MDJunction is not a replacement for medical diagnosis, treatment, or professional medical advice.
In case of EMERGENCY call 911 or 1.800.273.TALK (8255) to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Read more.
Contact Us | About Us
Copyright (c) 2006-2014 MDJunction.com All Rights Reserved